ⒸⒽⒶⓅⓉⒺⓇ ①

It all began on an ordinary afternoon in Madrid. I had just finished teaching a singing class, exhausted but satisfied. Singing had always been my escape, the only way I truly felt like myself. But I had never gone beyond the walls of the academy.

Until Marta, my best friend, burst into my room with a smile on her face and her phone in hand, as if she had just discovered the cure to all my insecurities.

"You're not going to believe this!" she said, practically jumping onto my bed.

"What?" I replied, somewhat distracted, as I organized my sheet music.

"I found an audition for a musical in New Jersey. But not just any musical! It's a huge project, and guess who's in charge of casting."

I frowned, looking up at her. Marta always had this energy that could make you excited about anything, but this time felt different. Like she had an ace up her sleeve.

"I don't know, someone famous?" I said half-jokingly.

"Nick Jonas."

My heart skipped a beat. I felt the air leave my lungs for a second. Nick Jonas, my weakness since I was fourteen. The Nick Jonas from the Jonas Brothers, the one who could make me melt in front of my phone screen with just a smile.

 The Nick Jonas from the Jonas Brothers, the one who could make me melt in front of my phone screen with just a smile

"Wait, wait... Nick Jonas is involved in a musical in New Jersey?" I asked, trying to process the information. It couldn't be true, or at least it couldn't be true for me. What did I, a Spanish girl, have to do with an audition in the United States?

"Yes!" Marta giggled as she handed me her phone to show me the post. A big musical, an opportunity for international talent, and yes, among the judges and key people in the project was Nick Jonas. It was like a dream... no, more like a fantasy. Me? At an audition in New York, in front of Nick Jonas? I couldn't even imagine it.

"This is crazy," I muttered, handing the phone back. I collapsed onto the bed, covering my face with my hands. "I couldn't do it. I'm Spanish. I can barely speak English fluently. I'm not good enough."

"Stop saying nonsense," Marta sat next to me, pulling my hands away from my face. "You sing incredibly well, and you know it. Besides, you've been working on your English. You can do this!"

"But... Nick Jonas." I sighed deeply, feeling the weight of his name. How could I even stand in front of him without stuttering or making a fool of myself?

"Exactly, Nick Jonas!" Marta grinned widely. "Don't you get it? This is your chance. You can't let it slip by!"

I stayed silent, staring at the ceiling. Maybe she was right. Maybe this was exactly what I needed. A chance to prove to myself that I could do it. But at the same time, fear was still there, fluttering in my stomach like a thousand butterflies.

A few days passed, and the thought of the audition wouldn't leave me alone. Every time I heard a Jonas Brothers song, I imagined what it would be like to see Nick in person, listening to me sing. And then, without even realizing it, I was already practicing my favorite songs in front of the mirror, perfecting every note, every inflection.