Freedom?

"A freeloader like you is not needed in this establishment"
"You were never needed by anyone, not even your parents"
"A failure like you will never accomplish anything in life"

These were the insults Atsushi had to endure every day in the orphanage. But today it was different.

"Atsushi Nakajima you are no longer welcome here, gather your belongings and leave" said the headmaster " You brought us nothing but shame, I'm sure you will never achieve anything.

Atsushi stood dumbfounded. He had nowhere to go, no friends, no family, and no money. But he felt a bit of relief. The abuse has ended finally after so many years. He imagined this day on numerous sleepless nigths, when his injuries didn't let him to fall asleep.

His dream had come through, but he couldn't help but feel scared for what laid ahead. "What will I do now?" he tought with a trembling heart. The gates slammed shut. He took one last somber look at the orphanage. It strirred up memories inside him. The abuse has ended, but who knows that this new life will be better. A single tear formed in his eye. "Will I have to beg for food now?" his heart sank. "The humiliation never truly ends, it changes form" he tought. The tear rolled down his face. He started walking.

"Atsushi Nakajima!" someone shouted behind him.

The boy shook. His heart started racing. Fear spread through his body. He knew damn well what it meant when his whole name was called. "But I'm no longer at that place." he took a deep breath to calm himself.
He turned around slowly. The source of the voice was a man in his thirties wearing a suit. He was holding a picture, comparing the boy to it.

"Are you Atsushi Nakajima" he asked

The boy worked up his curage. "Y-yes, I am" he answered.

The man nodded. "I'm you parent's lawyer, in charge of handling the inheritance"

Atsushi's eyes widened. He never knew anything about his parents.

"Nobody wants you not even your parents!" the headmaster's voice echoed in his head. He was told this nearly every day in the orphanage. He slowly started to belive this sentiment over time. But the fact that his parents died changed everything. Maybe they did want him. He started to feel hope.

"So as you know Atsushi-kun your parents died a year after your birth" The boys eyebrows raised, this was new information for him. The lawyer did not notice this and continued. "There was a clause in their final will, so you could only get the inheritance once you turn 18." the man said in a monotone voice. "You inherited a flat in Yokohama's downtown. With and I quote here a suprise in the garage."

Atsushi gasped. He doesn't have to be homeless after all! He couldn't contain his happiness. The man handed him a paper.
"Please sign here"
The boy complied. And the lawyer handed him a key.
"I can give you a lift there if you need it Atsushi-kun."
The boy's eyes lit up.
"Thank you" he said.