Chapter 2

The cold wind brushes against my skin as I stand on the rooftop, the moonlight casting a soft glow over the city of Frostvale. The view is breathtaking, crystal rooftops sparkling like stars below us, and the quiet serenity of the night calms my nerves. I steal a glance at Prince Caes, who stands beside me, his gaze fixed on the city below. He hasn't spoken much since we arrived, his expression distant and unreadable as always.

This place is peaceful, a world away from the ball below, where whispers and gossip follow me at every turn. Up here, only the royal family has access, and now that I'm engaged to the crown prince, I'm technically part of them. Yet, that doesn't stop the unease growing inside me, the feeling that I still don't belong.

"I... I'm sorry," I finally break the silence, my voice barely louder than a whisper. I had tried speaking to him earlier, asking questions, hoping for something, anything, but he remains silent, lost in his thoughts. Now, I feel like I have no choice but to apologize for everything that happened.

Still not looking at me, he stands there, the wind gently tousling his dark hair. His silence is deafening.

Taking a deep breath, I bow, feeling the weight of the situation pressing down on my shoulders. "I'm deeply sorry for what happened earlier. I should never have approached them and caused a scene. I'll explain everything to His Majesty, so you don't have to worry. I'll leave now since I imagine you want to be alone."

I turn to go, but his voice stops me.

"I guess being on top doesn't help you in situations like this."

I froze, confused by his words. Slowly, I turn back to him, finding him with his eyes closed, as if the wind itself is carrying away his thoughts.

"What do you mean by that?" I asked, unsure of what he is implying.

"Your family," he begins, his voice low and distant, "is known for being one of the highest-ranking houses in the Echelons of Arcana. You could all conquer the world if you wanted to, yet you chose to serve us. But seeing you there, getting bullied and unable to defend yourself, made me realize how foolish I was for thinking you deserved to be in that position."

His words hit me like a sudden gust of wind, cold and cutting. I stare at him, unsure of how to respond. There's an edge to his tone, one that makes me feel small despite the power my family holds.

"I apologize, Your Highness, but I don't quite understand what you're trying to say." My voice trembles slightly, unsure of what to make of his cryptic remarks.

He finally opens his eyes, glancing at me with an unreadable expression. "What I'm saying is, don't try too hard to fit in where you don't belong."

Without another word, he turns and starts walking away, his hands casually tucked into his pockets as if the conversation is over.

I stand there, rooted to the spot, his words echoing in my mind. Don't belong? Does he mean I should leave? Go back to where I came from? The weight of his words sinks deep, and the familiar sting of tears threatening to spill. I feel as though I have disgraced my family, that I have failed to live up to everyone's expectations.

"Hey," I call out, not turning to face him.

He pauses, his voice indifferent. "What?"

"I can't tell if you want me to call off the engagement or if you just want me to feel like I don't belong here." I turn to him then, my eyes burning with emotion. "I don't understand why you hate me so much. I've been trying my hardest to please everyone, to fit in. Why can't anyone appreciate that?"

His expression remains unreadable as he looks at me, but I can see a flicker of surprise in his eyes. It's as if my words have caught him off guard, and for a moment, the wall he's built around himself seems to crack. I take a step closer, the tension between us thickening.