Chapter 9

"Good morning, Miss Bourbon," he began while tying his tie a little higher. "You and I have a very important thing to discuss, may I come in?" He didn't ask but phrased it as question, demanding Ernest to allow him into her small RV. She's never had anyone other than Bella enter her RV and with Bella, it already felt stuffy and cramped. She could not imagine how small of a space it would feel with a boxy man who held a suitcase would feel. Ernest chewed the inside of her mouth, already feeling nervous and scared of what he was going to say or do. But she reminded herself that she could not be bought, and justice always prevailed. Her parents, and everyone else who was involved in that fire were going to be punished by the law.

      Ernest opened the door fully and stepped aside so Richard could enter. He walked into the RV and looked around, noticing the old and worn down cabinets and drawers that were polished clean by Ernest. The kitchen that was next to the bathroom and living room. A small area with a closet and table where Ernest worked on her next article were next to the bedroom, if one could call it that. He cleared his throat and set the suitcase down on the small table that pressed into the wall. 

      Ernest followed, taking a seat in front of him, she faced towards the door. Peering at it and wondering if she should make a run for it. It would give her only a few seconds to open her car, lock it, and turn on the ignition to run to the publishers. But no. She had to hear him out in order to save herself from being chased down and stopped. At least talking with Richard would offer a chance of being let go and having a chance to publish the book. 

      Richard opened the suitcase and took a check book and some papers. Most likely, Ernest figured, they were NDA forms for her to legally be bound to never speaking of this crime. He took out a pen and set it to the side. All of his movements were so formal and elegant, Ernest cursed at herself for not realizing it was Richard who had come up to Rebecca. Maybe if she had known from the start, she wouldn't be in this situation. But then again, maybe she would have been in this situation but earlier in her life. Because she knew herself, and she knew that she would have confronted Richard and her parents to find out if they had anything to do with the involvement of the corrupt police department.

      "I hear that you are writing a book. How is coming along?"

       Ernest narrowed her eyes and stared at him, wondering if she should answer every question honestly or think before answering. "It's great! All done and edited. I was actually on my way to get it published but you stopped be amidst my tracks." Ernest gave an innocent chuckle to make it seem like the book she was writing had nothing to do with the Bourbon's.

      "Sorry about that, but I assure you this will only take a second and you will be able to publish that book of yours." He licked his thumb and index finger before lifting the page from a small stack of documents that laid on the table. He placed it facing Ernest and handed her a pen, "That is of course, if it has nothing to do with my clients. We have assumed that your book has been written to spread horrific lies about the bourbon's. And I must say, how terrible it is that you have taken the liberty to accuse your own parents of something." He put his hand on his chest and lowered his head.

     Ernest confidently crossed her arms, "Who says I'm speaking ill of my parents? And what am I speaking ill of exactly?"

       "I think we all know the answer to that," he tapped the pen on a signature line that was still empty, missing her name. Ernest already knew that her parents had something to do with the fire but this was confirming it further. The fact that Richard was here to make her sign legal documents meant her parents did have something to hide. She only worried to what extent it was. "We can make this quick. I know money is not something we can use to buy into your silence, but maybe the morality of you being the daughter of the Bourbon's speaks louder than the book. Sign this document that legally binds you to getting rid of that book and never speaking of its contents. Sign it and you can go on to writing little articles about changing and saving the world when we all know it does nothing but spread the word. The word that leads to a dead end with nothing to show for." He smiled and handed Ernest the pen.