Chapter 7

The third floor was just like the second floor, lots of hallways with lots of doors that would lead to rooms. Angelina walked over to one of the doors, determined to find one of the employees. Maybe, even with all this commotion and the rising smoke that caused a few kids to cough and clear their lungs, the workers had still not realized there was a fire and had been sound asleep. She knocked at the door and peered her ear on the door, trying to hear any movement or talking. After hearing nothing, she banged on the door and began to yell, "There's a fire! Wake up! Fire!" 

      Others began to do the same. Going to doors and banging on them to wake anyone up. It was futile however, no one answered any of the doors and by the time they realized the workers weren't in their rooms, the fire had reached the second floor and smoke was rising in thicker clouds. The leader shouted, "Crawl on the ground!" She got on the floor and began to try to open the doors. Shaking the doorknobs, she couldn't open any. They were all locked. Others saw what she was doing and started doing the same. Trying to budge open the doors but without managing to do so. Finally, two sixteen-year-olds managed to open one of the doors after standing up and kicking the doors opened. The smoke had got heavier and so, they put their shirts on their nose to breathe in fresher air. 

      Angelina, Pamela, and all the others ran over to the room to inspect what was inside. Would it be empty, or would the workers be sound asleep? Angelina, out of the corner of her eye could see four sleeping employees. They slept in bunk beds and their blankets covered all of their body and half of their faces. Angelina squeezed through the crowd and made it inside to see a giant closet that was divided into four slots, a large dining table for four people, a couch, and a television screen. To the side was a door that led to a somewhat large bathroom. A bathtub/shower combo, sink, and toilet. While she explored, someone was checking the pulses of the four sleeping workers and they shook their head, "No pulse. They're all dead." 

      Angelina overheard and went over to him, "What do you mean? How'd they die?"

      Pamela grabbed the trash can and showed it to everyone, "They overdosed... They fucking overdosed on pills." 

      Angelina was confused, and as the smoke slowly crept into the room, she made sense of it all. And after breaking down another two doors, it only confirmed her and others theory. The workers had overdosed on pills and died in their sleep while the fire was purposely started. They would burn to death in this manor and the police wouldn't have bodies to make sure they did die from the fire and not anything else. Angelina sat on the floor, both to avoid the smoke and from how shocked she was from everything. "They left us to die," she began to tear up. This whole thing was planned. And she wanted to know why. Why kill everyone inside? Why only kill the workers beforehand and let the children to burn to death. 

      Pamela went over to her and helped her get up. She went limp and Pamela struggled. Having to ask for help from other people who were shocked just as Angelina but were still conscious enough to act. Three people helped carry her and drag her after walking into the hallways. The kids were still determined to escape. The fire had burned through the floor and was creeping closer to them. The smoke had filled the entire room, so they were forced to breathe it in even after crawling and using a ventilation system. The windows had also been shut off with the metal barricades. And as the kids made their way from hall to hall and broke windows, they finally realized, as the fire was in front of them, they would all die. 

     Angelina looked at the fire, giant flames that burned bright and hot. The floor that slowly charring and catching fire. She grabbed Pamela's hand, and they moved to the opposite side of the fire, towards the front of the manor. She locked the door and they both sat inside the tiled bathroom along with a few other kids. With the fire slowly making its way to their room, and four dead bodies outside, the kids were trapped.