02

All out of breath I settle down in my room. The dorm only has one bedroom and was totally styled like a gothic palace. I have only seen the school from outside, not from inside. But it wouldn't be surprise if the schoolnis black from the inside, too.

The sharp of my mobile startles me as I search for it.

"Hello mom," I mutters into it after snatching it from the table lamp. Which was also black.

"Hi sweetie, how have you been there?" She asks without any hesitations. But why would she even hesitate? She wasn't the one who was lurking behind the shadows waiting for death to come.

This place is all like a nightmare. A brutal nightmare. And I can't happen to wake up from it. Moreover, it is consuming me.

"I am good. Just finished settling in. What's going on there?" My voice sounds strange as I walks to the window of my room and slides aside the curtains to see the ground empty.

What is this school, A grave?!

"That's good, we miss you." She mumbles lowly and I cam already imagine her thin lips quivering. Well she should fear, after all I am almost this near to death.

"Oh common mom. It's not like it is the first time. Remember I was away for six months, staying at my aunt's house."

"That's the problem. She is your aunt. She would never harm you. But the people there can." The voice sounds hollow as if she is not there.

"Mom, I will be okay. Please, this is my dream." More like a nightmare.

"As you say, honey. But just please let me know whenever you are in trouble."

"I will, mom." My own voice doesn't promise me. No. I can't tell mom or dad anything until, I find out the truth.

"Honey, are you there?" My dad's voice rings aloud in the speaker.

"Wait, are you talking to Lena?"

My mom let's out a noncommittal sound,

"Hey, Lena, my child. How is things going on there?" He asks me smile at myself. The truth almost spills out from my mouth.

"So far, all good! The things are good here, exciting." I answers making him chuckle then he takes a deep breath and sounds serious.

"Lena, things have been hard since last year and you don't have an older brother, who would look after you anymore. By any chance, just stay away from trouble. And if you ate facing any downhill situation, just call me. I am always here." His voice becomes heavy at the end making my heart shake with agony and grief. One year has been passed since my brother's death, and I still can't move on.

"Yes dad, I know. And I will take care of myself." Gulping down my emotions, I replied and decided to end the talk here or I would cry a river.

As if to have mercy on me a knock on the door appeared.

"There is someone on the door that. Talk to you later, take care." Hastily hanging up call, I went to the door with my quiet steps and leaned my ear on it. No movements appeared for a while, but the second knock startled me. Gasping for breath I raised my hands to pull open the door.

Ms. Helen, the warden of this building stood infront of me with her hands bound behind her back. I don’t know why, but everything about this place seems haunted as if an evil spirit has been living here and I can't help, but...

Right as she opened her mouth, the grand clock rang aloud. It's voice echoing in the hallways making Miss Helen look at me with her down cast eyes and announce out loud for me.

"Everyday on 6 PM you all shall be down to have your dinners." Just when she turns around and walks to the stairs down. Everydoor of the floor opens in sync and the girls began to form a line. With quiet steps I joined the beeline and walked with other girls.

Eerie silence surrounded us, as we walked in sync, or they walked in sync. Because I was tripping because of the close space they were providing me. Their moves were seemed like they were trained, like a doll or more like a puppet.
Reaching to the dining room. We entered with boys, but they went to different buffet. I saw them picking up plate and spoons and did the same, ignoring my shaky hands. Fear churned into my guts as I walked towards the buffet and served myself some food. The place was dark that I lost appetite. I was sure the emo kid, not the dark kid. I liked living alone, but this shit around is scaring me. And for the first time I encountered a feeling that told me to run away from here.

As if to make it worse, I found myself sitting infront of the boy whom I found in the morning. He had covered his face with a mask and a hoody cape. My hands didn't move. I stay rooted, no, not rooted, frozen. Because, now that I can see his eyes a little properly. I realised, they were midnight black. Like the secrets black, like the haunting black.

"Why are you not eating?" The cold voice resonates in the dining room making me jerk my head to the side and look at the person. Ms. Helen narrowed her eyes making me stare at her.

Some one tapped on the wooden table making me turn towards the source. The boy from the morning tapped continuously. And I drew my eyebrows closer until I realised he was talking to me in Morse code.

"Don't look at her and just eat." He tapped again making me turn to my food and forcefully eat the contents of my plate.

Hastily finishing my plate, I began to prepare to go out from here, but that boy nodded his head in denial. I don’t know if he is saving me from this place or pushing in the pit of death.

Luck was on my side. I exhaled a breath as I listened the clock ring again. I found myself looking at the clock on the wall and found it was half past 6. Only half an hour passed away. But it seemed like I was here for hours. Only God knows how I am going to survive here.

Everyone stood up and I followed them. I began to walk with them, but just when I exited the dining room. A warm presence curled around me making me relax for a while and then...

"If you want to know the truth, just blend in with the crowd." A warm whisper echoed in my ear making my eyes widen as I turn around to look for the source of the intruder. But the person was gone and the girl behind me stumbled upon me and hissed at me.

"Just walk!"