Chapter 4 - Revelry and Revelation

Save the raven, the three of them stroll down a narrow path, and after hearing the blithering of a river, flowing calmly over rocks, and braving the burn from the sun, they meet an opening to a dale. "A br- -" the old man coughs, "A break." he demands. Leo and Lee, having not heard him, continue walking for two strides, and so the raven caws, gathering their attention. "Oh" remarks Leo, hurriedly, tapping Lee's shoulder with the back of his hand. "Oh, I'm sorry," says Lee.

     They watch as the old man catches the breath that had betrayed him. After having done so, he goes on, "life is always taking a solid stone to our heads, and a lance to our hearts," before then stomping his ferrule on the ground. "And the darling fae 'a knife to the threads of my honour'" thinks Lee to himself, looking up from the ground, and seeing the bird nodding, as if able to hear his thoughts, the cogs in the workings of his mind. He then says, "I have always thought life a dynamo, with whom we must waltz," his voice quavering now, "—trying not to get dizzy, or to fail its choreography."

The old man sighs, evidently proud of the youngster, "that's awful pretty!" he asserts, both of his hands placed on his cane, with the raven cocking its head, slowly, growing rather fond of him.