The Bride

The train arrived at the Capital the next morning. All twenty-four tributes leaving the vehicles to be received by thousands of capitol citizens, each one weirder than the next. Jolene was sure she'd never seen so much color in her life. It almost made her eyes hurt.

They all shouted and cheered as the tributes passed by, and she had to do her best to smile back at them and wave as if she were happy to be there. It was hard, not only because she wanted to be anywhere but there, but also because she was tired. Jolene couldn't find sleep throughout the whole night, her head too full with heavy thoughts to be able to rest. Besides, the train felt awfully cold to her. Maybe it was because she was so used to the warm weather of district ten, where farmers would often pass out from heat stroke while working, but she felt chills down her arms even now. Luckily for her, however, the people didn't seem to notice her discomfort.

- Mommy, look, she's a bride! - A little girl said while tugging on her mother's purple skirt and pointing at Jolene.

Jolene's first instinct was to touch her ring, but then she realized they were quite far to be able to notice it. It must be the dress, she thought. Perhaps Colt was right, yet again. People in the Capital were supposed to be experts when it came to fashion, though, so they certainly knew how to separate a weeding dress from a plain white dress. That made Jolene wonder. She wasn't the one to buy this dress. In fact, she wasn't the one to buy most of her clothes, as they were all hand-me-downs. Could this actually have been a wedding dress? It had been in her family for years, passed down as some form of heirloom, but her mother didn't give her a backstory when handing it to her. What if her mother had gotten married to her father wearing this? And her grandmother to her grandfather? Would she survive to wear it when marrying Butch? If not, she'd at least like to be buried in it when they sent her body back home. She'd make sure to ask Colt to take care of that.

Jolene had gotten so lost in her thoughts it took a nudge from the very man to call her attention to what was happening. They were almost at the entrance to the facility where they'd all be living for the next days, and the people of the capital continued to cheer the tributes on, but one word stood out amongst them all. Bride. For a second, she was too stuned to speak, but just before getting inside the building, she turned back and waved them off, making sure to use her hand where the ring was. In that particular moment, faith seemed to be on her side. Because the morning sun shone right over her, lightning the crystal on her finger with sparks. Jolene didn't feel as cold anymore, which was enough for her to open a real smile.

Once everyone was inside and the doors closed behind them, Colt was immediately on her side.

- Good job! - He sent her a thumbs up accompanied with a small smile. - You too, kid. - He added, patting Nash on the back.

- District 10! - Someone called, making them all look over. Jolene had to hold the gasp in her throat when she was met with a green person.

- Over here. - Ophelia signaled, and six people came rushing in towards them. - This is Nash and Jolene. - She motioned to them. - This is your beauty team, they're gonna take care of you. - Was the only explanation she provided before moving away towards the elevator.

- It's fine. They can't do anything crazy with you guys. - Colt reassured them when the two turned to him with terrified expressions. - We'll be waiting for you on the tenth floor. - And then he too walked off.

Jolene and Nash didn't have time to exchange any words before the beauty team pulled them away, three of them for each. They were taken to separate rooms with nothing but gray steel walls and glass cabinets, where no time was wasted in stripping them off their clothes. Jolene's team seemed eager to tear the dress away from her, but she stopped them.