What A Shame

Funny how such a small and insignificant thing like a piece of paper can change your whole life forever.

When Jolene heard the last syllable of her name being pronounced by the escort, she tried not to waste her time with the things that anyone would expect her to do in a situation like this. She didn't wait for anyone to volunteer for her, that simply wasn't an option. No one ever volunteered in outlying districts. In fact, Jolene had never seen or heard of such a case happening in 10. She also didn't want to cry. Well, actually, she did. All she wanted to do right now was run towards her mother's arms like a scared little girl and stay hidden in her embrace, but she couldn't. If she already had no chance of surviving this, bursting into tears in front of the whole country would be signing her death certificate. The Capitol hated crybabies.

So, with a deep breath, Jolene finally moved out of the crowd. She stared straight ahead as she walked towards the stage, not wanting to make eye contact with anyone. God forbid she caught even a glimpse of her mother or Butch right now, all of her efforts to maintain composure would go flying out the window. With her cowboy boots clicking loudly against the steel stairs, Jolene made it to Ophelia Grimaldi's side.

- Ah, finally! Hello, darling. - The woman practically shouted in pleasure, already anxious with how much the girl was taking her sweet time to come forward. - Now, with your lovely female tribute here with us, we can move on to the boys. - Almost sprinting towards the opposite bowl, Ophelia ripped out the first envelope her finger touched and came back to call out into the microphone. - Nash Doyle!

Jolene didn't know who he was, but as soon as he stepped away from the other boys, her heart broke at the sight of him. A twelve, thirteen at most, year old boy, with caramel curls covering the top of his head and falling in front of his eyes. Visibly shaking, as Jolene hoped she wasn't when it was her turn just seconds earlier, he walked up the distance to the stage. The crowd's silence was deafening. Mournful faces watching the young boy take step after step closer to death, all of them too scared to put their on lives on the line in order to save his. In the world they lived in, it was acceptable to not volunteer for someone who is seventeen. In Panem, you're already old enough at this age to fight your own battles. But when it's a twelve year old who is in danger, there is always that overwhelming feeling of guilt weighing down on the people who didn't try to save them.

- Here he is! - Ophelia pulled the boy up the last few steps of the stair and placed him on her right side. - Wonderful! Ladies and gentlemen, I am happy to present the tributes of District 10 for the 69th Hunger Games. - With a final gesture for the two unlucky kids to shake hands, the escort declared: - And may the odds be ever in your favor.

Stepping away from the microphone, the woman guided them both to the interior of the Justice Building. Once there, they were led to separate rooms, where they should await to say their final goodbyes to their families and loved ones. Jolene had never been inside the place before, and as she anxiously waited inside the small room, her teeth relentlessly pulled at her bottom lip for the whole five minutes it took for her mother to finally cross the door.

- Mom! - Normally, Jolene wouldn't want to worry her mom by getting desperate in front of her, but given the current circumstances there was no way Linette could ever be more concerned than she already was. - I'm scared, mom. - So, this time, Jolene gets a pass. She's allowed to break down crying in her mother's embrace today. After all, it might be her last change of doing this.

- I know, honey. I know. - Even though she hadn't been able to think straight ever since hearing her daughter's name being called out, Linette was trying to keep herself calm during this moment. - It's not fair. It never is. - She mumbled into the girl's hair before pulling back and holding her shoulders. - But listen to me, Jolene. I'll be watching you the whole time, ok? I'll be right there with you every step of the way, I promise. And I want you to know that, no matter what happens, I love you and I'm proud of you and that you'll always be my little girl. - With tears welling up in her eyes and threatening to fall over her face, Linette pulled Jolene back into the tightest hug they ever shared. - Your father would be so proud of you. - She whispered.