CHAPTER 6: TENSION IN THE AIR

HER POV:

I sat on that bench and started admiring my teddies. They followed me and stood before me. " Guys, lets go on a carousel. " said Mark. " NO " me and Ruan shouted. " What? I know why Ruan isn't coming but, weren't you energetic just now Lex? why aren't you coming? " asked Mark. " I'm hungry...let's ride rides after we eat! " I said. " No way, you're gonna vomit everything you ate if you eat before playing " said Ruan. " Meh, its ok " I said and walked towards a restaurant. Ruan and Mark looked at each other and sighed.

~ After eating and going on rides ~

* Vomiting noise inside a bathroom *

" Lex, are you okay? do you want me to call someone? you want lemon? " shouted Ruan. " Take your time, Lex. " shouted Mark.

~ A few minutes later~

As I stood beside the carousel, the vibrant colors of the horses swirling around me, the ecstatic fireworks bursting, I felt the excitement of the theme park buzzing in the air. Mark had just run off to grab snacks, leaving Ruan and me alone. I caught him glancing at me, his expression a mix of nervousness and determination.

"Lex," he began, his voice soft but steady. I turned to him, my heart fluttering with curiosity. "I've been thinking..."

I tilted my head, encouraging him to go on. "About what?"

He took a deep breath, and for a moment, the world around us faded into the background. "About how much I love spending time with you. You have this way of making everything feel brighter, like the sun breaking through clouds."

My breath caught as he continued, "I've realized I like you, Lex. More than just friends. When I'm with you, it feels like I'm on one of these rides-full of twists and turns, but always soaring higher. Would you give me a chance?"

Just then, I caught a glimpse of Mark peeking from behind a nearby stall. His expression fell as he turned away, a shadow of sadness crossing his face. The moment hung in the air, filled with both excitement and unexpected tension, as I realized how complicated things had just become.

" I...I need some time " I said, as I stood up and ran away.

As I was running, I spotted Mark, sitting alone at a bench staring at the stars. " I have to talk things out with him..." I thought. I walked towards him and sat down next to him. Mark noticed that I was beside him and said, " Oh hey Lex, I didn't see you here- " " I saw you... " I stopped his sentence...leaving a portray of a mix of disappointment and understanding. "I know. I didn't want to interrupt. I just...I care about you, Lex."

I was shocked by his reply. So...he did like me. I've always had the feeling but I thought it was just a friendly manner... " Mark, I...I dont know how to say this to you...but, I haven't gave Ruan my answer yet...I wanted to discuss this with you before I told him- " " And does your relationship have anything to do with me? " He said, I felt a distance between us when he said that. Making me hurt...and unable to think of what to say. " I think you already know...I like you Lex...even after making everything clear...this happens? " " Mark, I'm so sorry, I thought all the things you did, that was just a friendly manner- " " No, it was not...ask my friends...ask them if I was nice to anyone in any way... " he said as he turned to face the fireworks. Tears welled up in my eyes " Is this how our friendship breaks? " I thought. " Mark...I like Ruan... " I said, hesitantly. Ruan was shocked and depressed, not showing me his face. " I hope...we still be friends even if all this happened. Let's forget this and start over...hm? As friends... " I said, my voice shaking.

" We surely will...we'll always be friends. And...I wish you guys happy days. " He said. and suddenly he turned around and held onto me tightly. I did not say anything and just hugged him back.

Mark just looked at me in disbelief and excused himself to go home

Mark just looked at me in disbelief and excused himself to go home. " What why?, you can go home with me " I said. " No, thats okay. I just...prefer going alone " he said as he walked away. I sat there, looking at him as he faded away...

MARK'S POV:

As I walked home, the lights of the theme park faded into the distance, replaced by the heavy weight of disappointment. I replayed the moment over and over in my mind-Lex's surprised expression, Ruan's hopeful confession, and my own heartbreak as I watched it all unfold.

Sitting on my bed, I glanced at my phone, wishing I could just text her, but I knew it wouldn't change anything. I felt like an outsider, watching something beautiful happen right in front of me that I couldn't be a part of.

I ran my fingers through my hair, trying to shake off the feeling of helplessness. Hearing Lex admit she liked Ruan hit me hard. I had always been there for her, hoping she might see me as more than just a friend. Now, I couldn't help but feel like I had lost my chance completely.

With a sigh, I resolved to respect her feelings, even if it hurt. Maybe I needed to step back for now, giving her space to explore what she wanted with Ruan

I just know...that I wont be able to sleep at night...

that I wont be able to sleep at night