Chapter 35

His Majesty announced that we would depart at dawn, and as we set out, I found myself falling into silence. Nagsasalita lamang ako kung kinakailangan, and His Majesty seemed to notice, though he made no comment or effort to break the quiet. We boarded a ship to cross the waters separating our Empire from the neighboring country. The journey was long, and it took several days before we reached the seaport. We wore cloaks to conceal our identities, but despite this, the townspeople seemed unsettled by our presence. Their attire was not too different from ours, but I did notice that a few of them were wearing more modern clothing. As we passed by, they began whispering among themselves, their eyes darting towards us with a mix of curiosity and apprehension. Some of the ferrymen even paused in their work, their expressions frozen in wonder and concern.

Our knights, who accompanied us, had dressed as commoners to avoid drawing further attention, but even so, the tension in the air was palpable.

"Stay close to me," his Majesty murmured softly into my ear, his voice startling me slightly. I flinched, but quickly regained my composure, nodding curtly in response.

By the time evening approached, we sought refuge in an expensive tavern for the night. The atmosphere was rich with the smell of roasted meats and spices, and the rooms were lavishly decorated. Yet, I found no comfort in the luxury surrounding me. The weight of the journey and the uncertainty ahead pressed heavily on my mind. We left at dawn the next day, determined to reach the palace as quickly as possible. It took several more days of travel, passing through various villages and towns, before we finally arrived at our destination.

Now, we stood outside the palace gates, waiting for them to open. His Majesty had informed me earlier that he had already sent a message to the president, notifying him of our visit. My heart raced with anticipation and anxiety, wondering what awaited us beyond those gates.

As soon as the gates creaked open, we proceeded inside with our carriages. The sound of the horses' hooves echoed against the cobblestone, a rhythm that seemed to match the beating of my heart. When the carriage finally came to a stop, I couldn’t help but feel a wave of nervousness wash over me. This is it. I would soon learn what the Emperor had planned for the future of our relationship.

The Emperor was the first to step out, and without hesitation, he extended his hand towards me. His gesture was poised and commanding. Tinanggap ko ang kanyang kamay at tinulungan niya akong makababa, his touch firm yet gentle.

"Your Imperial Majesty, Emperor Calistovar of the Valtherion Empire, it is an honor to welcome you once again to our nation. We eagerly anticipate strengthening the ties between our peoples during your stay," a voice rang out, breaking the silence. My eyes shifted towards an elderly man dressed in grand attire. His posture was formal, yet there was a certain warmth in his tone. Standing beside him were two women—one of them older, her beauty still evident despite the lines of age, and the other around my age, strikingly beautiful with an elegance that seemed to capture the attention of those around her. I noticed the way her gaze lingered on the Emperor, her eyes trailing over him with a look that made my stomach churn.

I clenched my fists tightly when I saw her smile sweetly at him. How pathetic. As if she thought she could capture his attention so easily.

"Mr. President," his Majesty spoke calmly, before his arm gently wrapped around my waist, pulling me closer to him. The subtle but intimate gesture caught the attention of both the president and the younger woman. I noticed their eyes shifting toward his hand resting on my waist, a flicker of surprise crossing their faces.