Chapter 32

We successfully arrived at the village, greeted by an eerie silence as if it had long been abandoned. The only sound that broke the stillness was the soft thud of our horses’ hooves on the ground. Yet, I noticed subtle movements from the corners of my eyes—a few windows creaked open as we passed by, the curious yet cautious eyes of villagers peeking through. The rooftops were covered in ash, and the entire village seemed cloaked in varying shades of gray. The air was thick with the remnants of a disaster, and it was clear that hardship had taken its toll here.

As we reached the heart of the village, I decided to stop. I scanned the surroundings, taking a moment to gauge the atmosphere. My people waited for my words, their silence laden with anticipation and uncertainty.

I cleared my throat, but the dry air and ash made it uncomfortable, burning slightly in my nose and throat. We had traveled a long way, through harsh conditions, and the weight of the journey was starting to settle on me.

"Mga minamahal kong kababayan... " I began, my voice strong despite the discomfort. I let my gaze drift over the houses, taking in the desolation before continuing, "Batid ko ang inyong pinagdadaanan. Sa mga panahong ito ng pagsubok, hindi kayo nag-iisa. Bilang inyong Emperatris, tungkulin kong tiyakin na ang bawat isa sa inyo ay may sapat na pangangailangan—mula sa pagkain hanggang sa mga gamot na kinakailangan upang malabanan ang anumang sakit."

I saw the doors of some homes open slightly, a sign that my words were reaching them. They were listening, perhaps with renewed hope.

"Ako mismo ang nangunguna sa operasyong ito upang tiyakin na darating ang tulong na kailangan ninyo. Magtiwala kayo, hindi kayo pababayaan ng inyong pamahalaan!" my voice was authoritative and unwavering. I glanced at Edward, who was by my side. "Edward, you will now take charge and lead the rest," I declared, my tone leaving no room for doubt.

He bowed respectfully, dismounted from his horse, and the others followed suit. They began distributing goods and medicine to each doorstep, a silent but reassuring gesture that help had indeed arrived.

I nudged my horse forward, and though I sensed someone following me, I chose not to look back and continued on my path.

We reached the edge of the village, where the aftermath of the fire was unmistakable. The grass was all but gone, scorched to the ground, and the trees were mere blackened trunks, their leaves long burned away. The land appeared lifeless, a scene of utter devastation that tugged at the heart. It was a mournful sight, a stark contrast to the life that had once thrived here.

"How is the task I assigned you, Duke?" I asked, my tone serious as I turned to him.

His horse pulled alongside mine. "I have completed it, Your Majesty. I apologize for not sending word sooner, but I knew that if I told you immediately, you would have left the palace despite the dangers," he replied calmly. He paused for a moment before adding with a slight chuckle. "However, I forgot that you are one brave woman, capable of matching the strength of any man, Your Majesty."

I tightened my grip on the reins of my horse, glancing at him sharply. "Bring him to the palace, but I want his identity kept a secret. You have my word, Duke," I commanded, my voice firm and final.

"As you wish, Your Majesty." He responded, bowing his head once more.

Muli kaming bumalik sa kabahayan, naabutan namin ang mga knights, at shadow warriors na naghihintay sa amin.