Chapter 34

The next day, there was another ashfall, but it was much lighter this time, and by the end of the day, it had completely vanished. I also learned that the restoration of the burnt fields had begun immediately. The Emperor had added more workers to speed up the replanting process—as expected of him. His actions were swift, and his influence over the people remained strong, even though some of them opposed him.

I am now in the garden, picking flowers. I lifted a black rose to my nose, inhaling its deep, earthy scent before gently placing it into the basket. For a brief moment, I paused as a thought crossed my mind. My gaze drifted toward the window of His Majesty's workroom, where I knew he had locked himself these passed days.

"Edward, have you seen His Majesty leave his workroom?" I asked, my eyes still lingering on the window.

"He hasn't come out since he arrived, Your Majesty," Edward replied from five meters away, patiently waiting for me. I furrowed my brows. Really? Does he even sleep? It seems like he's busier than I am.

I let out a quiet sigh, my curiosity growing. Perhaps I should visit him, just to see what he's been so preoccupied with.

"Sarah, take this to my chambers," I ordered, handing the basket to her as she stood behind me.

"Masusunod, Your Majesty." She responded with a polite bow. Her voice was as steady and calm as always. I gathered the folds of my skirt and began walking back inside the palace.

As I entered the cool, shaded hallways, the stillness of the palace felt almost eerie. The usual hustle and bustle seemed absent, as though everyone was tiptoeing around, aware of the Emperor’s intense focus. Normally, by this time, he would have made an appearance, issuing orders or overseeing matters. But today, nothing. Only silence and a faint sense of tension in the air.

With each step, my curiosity deepened. What could be keeping him so absorbed that he would forgo even the simplest of routines? And why do I feel this strange urge to check on him, despite knowing how he values his solitude?

My steps quickened slightly as I made my way to the hallway leading to his workroom, wondering what I might find behind those closed doors.

Nang nakarating ako, agad akong kumatok ngunit walang nagbukas kaya ako mismo ang nagbukas nito. As I entered, my eyes immediately focused on the desk, where I found the Emperor leaning back in his chair. His head was slightly tilted upward, eyes closed in what seemed to be a rare moment of rest. I swallowed hard as I noticed he was wearing glasses, something that only added to his already formidable charisma. His shirt was partially unbuttoned, revealing a glimpse of the strain he must have been under.

I walked toward him slowly, trying not to disturb him. He looked tired, as if he hadn’t been able to stop himself from falling asleep amidst his work. I glanced at the papers scattered across his desk and frowned when I saw what they were—Notice of Termination papers from various merchants. Just as I suspected. I already knew their reasons; they wanted to sever ties with the palace due to the ongoing crisis. But how foolish of them. Where else would they get their supplies if not from the palace? The palace controls the largest agricultural estates in the entire empire. This crisis could be resolved if they cooperated instead of retreating.

Driven by my desire to fully understand the situation, I circled the desk, careful not to disturb the Emperor, though I came close to brushing against him. I leaned over the papers, scanning the names of the prominent merchants listed. They were some of the most influential in the empire. This is a serious problem. I couldn’t help but glance at the Emperor again, still fast asleep.