CH-16(Brother)

Meher stepped out of the shower, her body warm from the water, but her mind still replaying those painful memories. She took a deep breath, reminding herself that she wasn't that girl anymore. Wrapping herself in a towel, she stood in front of the mirror, her eyes determined. The past had scarred her, but it didn't define her.

After getting dressed, she made her way downstairs. As she descended, her gaze landed on Vikram. He was sitting with the family, Aarvi in his arms, while Dadi-sa and Yug talked cheerfully. But for Meher, everything seemed to blur except for Vikram.

He had changed.

For a fleeting moment, she saw something different in him—a vulnerability he had never shown before. The way he looked at Aarvi, his expression soft, as if he finally understood that this little girl was all he had left of Shanaya.

He's realizing, she thought, her chest tightening. He's realizing that Aarvi is the only piece of Shanaya left with him.

Meher's heart twisted with conflicted emotions. Part of her wanted to hate him for everything but another part of her couldn't ignore the pain she saw in his eyes.

Vikram, feeling her gaze, glanced up at her. Their eyes met for a second, and there was something unspoken in the air. A moment of recognition, perhaps, of shared loss. But before either of them could say anything, Aarvi giggled, breaking the tension. Vikram shifted his focus back to their daughter, a small smile tugging at the corner of his lips.

Meher tore her gaze away, her emotions swirling inside her. This wasn't the Vikram she had married—this was someone broken, someone trying to hold on to the last fragments of his past.

Suddenly, 

Meher's phone rang, breaking the fragile tension in the room. Everyone's eyes turned toward her as she glanced at the screen. The name flashing on the screen made her heart skip a beat—Arjun Chauhan. Her brother.

She quickly picked up the call. "Hel—"

But before she could finish, his furious voice boomed through the phone, cutting her off.

"WHAT THE ACTUAL HECK, MEHER?!" Arjun shouted from the other end, his tone laced with disbelief and anger.

Meher stiffened, her hand clutching the phone tightly. Everyone in the room, including Vikram, noticed her sudden change in demeanor. Aarvi stopped giggling, sensing the tension in the air.

"Mai baad mai call karungi (I'll call you back later,)" Meher quickly muttered, trying to keep her voice calm, but Arjun wasn't having it.

"Phone rakhne ki koshish bhi mat karna meher ! You married him? Tune Vikram Singh Rathore se shadi kar li?!tera dimag kharab ho gya hai kya ?!(Don't you dare hang up on me, Meher! You married him? You married Vikram Singh Rathore?! Are you out of your mind?!" he shouted, his voice echoing through her head).

Her heart pounded. So he finally found out.

Arjun had been out of the country for the last few months, dealing with his own business abroad. He knew about Shanaya's death, but he had no idea that his own sister had ended up in a marriage of convenience with the very man who was once her best friend's husband.

"Arjun, listen—"

"No! You listen!" Arjun interrupted, his voice heavy with frustration. "How could you do this? How could you marry him of all people, Meher? Why didn't you tell me?"

Meher's throat tightened as she glanced at the curious gazes surrounding her, all ears tuned into her one-sided conversation. Vikram, who was still sitting with Aarvi, looked up, his expression darkening. He stood up, eyes glued to her as if waiting for her next move.

"Mai sab samjha dungi jab tum yaha aaoge, (I'll explain everything when you get here,)" Meher said, trying to stay calm.

"Oh, I'm already in India," Arjun replied coldly. "And I'm coming straight to see you. We'll have this conversation face-to-face. I need answers, Meher."

Before she could say anything else, the call ended with a click. Meher stood frozen, her mind swirling with thoughts, knowing her brother was on his way and would demand the truth.

She turned slowly to see everyone's eyes still on her. Aarvi babbled, completely oblivious to the storm brewing in the room. Vikram's gaze was hard, sharp—filled with unspoken questions.

"Kya hua?( What happened?)" Dadi-sa asked gently, breaking the silence.

Meher forced a smile, though her heart raced. "Kuch nhi...um mera bhai vapas aagya and he's coming here.(Nothing... my brother's back. He's coming here.)"