𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐭𝐰𝐨. ( santiago )

The group has slowly begun to dwindle. Tired party-goers walk off with explanations of early shifts and family curfews to meet. Our group of thirteen has decayed now to six. Piper is very nearly asleep against Roy's shoulder, so I doubt she'll last much longer. Out of all of the commotion of the dying occasion, the continued presence of Santiago doesn't escape my notice, however hard I try. So I make the call to try to end the potential dangerous interaction once and for all.

"Piper, you look like you're about ready for bed. Do you want to head back to your house? I can walk you there on the way back to mine." I open the offer casually.

Her eyes snap open and she gives her head a small shake to clear the grogginess that must crowd her mind.

"Oh, uh." She casts a furtive glance between me and Roy. "I think I might spend the night at Roy's. His place is much closer and I'm not feeling up to the walk." Sheepishness looks out of place on Piper's bold face.

"No worries," I amend easily, though I mentally curse the situation.

They rise soon after my intrusion, heading off slowly into the darkness.

"If you're ready to go home, Santiago can walk you back to the Victor's Village. It's a pretty far journey to make alone," Tandy comments when we can no longer hear their footsteps in the sand. She twirls a strand of hair around her finger and makes a face so innocent that I know her intent is anything but. "Might be dangerous to go alone. He could always spend the night at your house and walk back in the morning."

"It's only about two and a half miles from here," I protest gently. "I've done it many times before, I'll be home within the hour."

"I don't mind, truly." Santiago's piercing gaze is disarming when I turn to meet it.

"I'll do it if he doesn't. I'd never turn down an opportunity to sleep in one of the many spare bedrooms in your mansion," Diego interjects.

"You have a diving shift in four hours, fish-brain," Santiago cuffs him.

"And I have to open the stall early tomorrow to make full-day meals for my Ma's crew, let's get going Diego." Tandy rises and offers a hand up to Diego. "You can always sleep on my family's couch if you're so desperate for a change of scenery."

Diego scoffs at the thwarting of his foray. He takes Tandy's hand and begrudgingly follows her away from the beach.

Neither Santiago nor I make a move to leave when they're gone. We sit in silence side by side until the few remaining people on the beach begin to dump seawater on the coals that remain of the fire.

"You really don't have to walk me." I finally turn to address the boy sitting beside me, though my heart isn't really in the denial anymore.

"I think I should. Tandy and Piper would be upset if I abandoned you at this hour. And I can most certainly make the walk back to my home straight away if it's too much to ask for room and board," he protests once again.

"You can stay at my home," I finally concede, trying to ignore the flutter in my stomach when I do.

"I appreciate it." Santiago pushes himself up from the ground.

Once we begin walking, I begin to regret my choice in footwear. Sandals were fine for the walk from Piper's home to the beach, but now that the sun is down, it's hard not to stumble over unseen unevenness underfoot. I feel doubly regretful with the growing layer of self-consciousness that now rests atop my shoulders.