𝐬𝐢𝐱𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧. ( the strength of glass )

"What the hell was that?" My voice cuts into the wake of silence that the video leaves.

My finger taps the off switch on my device and I look at the other two girls with lowered eyebrows. That certainly wasn't what I was expecting.

"That's how all of the propos are," Johanna says, picking at her cuticles to show her disinterest, but instead broadcasting her discomfort as she eyes me back.

"President Coin made it sound like it would be an exposé on the work I did in District 3." I'm breathless in my disapproval. "I guess there isn't exactly room for complaint in the realm of propaganda. Misleading people is sort of a side effect of the entire practice."

"President Coin isn't exactly the most transparent figure." Johanna tuts. "At least President Snow was up front about his motivations. She's someone to keep an eye on, I can tell you that much with certainty."

Left speechless by her bold words, I look to Katniss for any kind of dissenting opinion. She has none to give, instead portraying only a severe sense of discomfort at the topic. My heart pounds in my ears, blood rushing to my extremities in preparation for some sort of turmoil. My fingers begin to shake as I hold the tablet and I'm forced to set it down. High pitched ringing fills my ears and the overhead lighting in the room begins to feel like spotlights. I can feel the phantom tug of restraint cuffs on my wrists. My breaths are harder and harder to pull through my lungs, which in turn leads to flashing images of water rising over my chin and into my nose.

The logical portion of my brain feebly argues that this is District 13, where we won't be punished for speaking outright against our leaders. The side that controls me right now, however, knows that threatening power is dangerous in any capacity and setting. People who gain control rarely want to lose it. The change in Presidential figure in this territory does little to assure me that I wont pay for this conversation in the future. My eyes fix onto my fingernails that have grown back warped after removal, very real evidence of what running your mouth can do.

A hand clamps down on my shoulder and I jerk away, eyes locking with Johanna. She still sits beside me on her bed.

"You're still in District 13, Faraday." Her lips seem to move out of sync with her words. "Stay with us." She turns her head and says something softly to Katniss that I can't make out through the ever louder ringing in my ears.

Katniss quickly exits the room, casting one look back at me before slipping out the door.

"I get it." Johanna's voice is stronger now, drawing my attention more solidly. "I know exactly what you're thinking, and you're not wrong, but at this very moment, you aren't going to get dragged away to some torture room."

She lets her grip on my shoulder loosen and fall to her side.

"I won't lie and tell you that ' it's District 13, you'll always be safe here' , because neither of us believe in that bullshit. But you can trust me when I say that you're going to be okay at this exact moment. Nobody's going to come in through that door and grab you."

My eyes flick towards the door, searching for the truth behind her words.

"You're going to get that chance that we all crave to die like a martyr on the battlefield, nobody's going to take that away from you right now." Her soft laugh is rueful, but more reassuring than any bland words of comfort could ever be.

"Where did Katniss go?" I clear my throat and try my best to act as normal as possible.

"I told her to get someone," she answers. Tension floods me again, muscles snapping taut at the thought of a doctor running into the room. She shakes her head and snaps her fingers in front of my face. "The list of choices was three people long, you idiot. Do you think I want anyone else in my room? Finnick's the only one in your posse that I like, so we'll just hope he's the one she finds first."