Episode 27: Free - Olivia's POV

If things are going to change… if things are going to get BETTER even…There is something more important than learning how to fold shirts.  And even though I’d gone down the internet rabbit hole watching people make magic happen with fitted sheets, I needed to step away from it for a bit and address a bigger issue in my life. 

And not the handsome six foot three flying squirrel issue either. 

I decided I needed to go for a run.  I slipped out of my room early enough to escape the prying eyes of curious pack members that I hadn’t been able to meet yet.  I mean, this was really only my second day here so I would have had to hold court like royalty to have met even a fraction of the people living here.  But that’s fine.  This is even more important than that. 

My breath is suspended in the chilly morning air.  Atticus was right about the seasonal change.  I will have to make some time for shopping. 

But even more important than shopping….. 

One thing at a time.  One breath at a time.  One footstep at a time.  Don’t over-complicate things.  Be logical.  Be perfect. 

I breathe.  In and out.  I put one foot in front of the other, picking up the pace.  I let myself concentrate on the movement of my body.  The muscles constrict and loosen.  There is a connection between myself, the ground and the air.  Every heartbeat pushes blood in a steady rhythm. 

I feel the wave of strength starting to course through me from my wolf.  It glides around my body like a golden river.  Don’t think.  One breath.  One footstep.  One beat of my heart. 

I just let myself MOVE. 

The air smells like ice and pine.  The gravel crunches under my feet as I move from blacktop to a side road that seems to go further into the forested area.  The sound of my heart, my breath, are in sync with the sounds of early morning birdsong.  Everything feels more vivid than I have experienced in a long time. 

I let myself run until the muscles in my legs start to twitch.  I don’t know how far in the forest I’ve run, but there’s a pull in the middle of my chest from the direction I came from.  I am confident I can follow that pull back home when I’m ready.  As luck would have it, I have come across a small clearing, the morning light filtering through the leaves to create a shifting kaleidoscope of greens and shadow. 

I chuckle to myself, because this is some fairy tale luck.  There’s a small flattish rock that looks perfect for resting.  I hoist myself up the side.  It is definitely not as comfortable as my Goldilocks chair, but it will do.  I cross my legs, close my eyes and focus on the air.  In, Out, In, Out.  Focus on the golden glow.

After a few minutes, the glow manifests itself in my mind -  Orla. 

Her presence is strong, almost bowling me over.  I’m the first to speak. 

“Orla, we need to talk.” 

“Probably, young one.  But we should run first.”  she replies

“No, Orla.  Talk first, run later.”  comes my stern reply. 

I feel her presence relax, I see in my mind’s eye her creamy fur which looks like it's shot through with molten gold.  She lays down and crosses her paws, looking at me expectantly. 

I continue.  “I’m not sure what to say, Orla.  You haven’t spoken to me in six years.  Why?” 

She tips her head, considering my question.  “There was much for you to learn, but you lacked the resolve to learn it.” 

“I was nineteen, of course there was much for me to learn!  And I had to do it without you.  You were supposed to be my partner in everything.”  Her image starts to waver as my emotions take over, so I stop.  Breathe In, Breathe Out.  Our connection isn’t strong enough yet for me to see her if I’m not concentrating.