Episode 6 - Dance - Atticus' POV

I groaned. 

I was going to pay for having fallen asleep in the chair last night.  All my aches and pains a testiment to just how tired I already was before sitting down and there’s still an abundance of activities planned for the remainder of the week. 

I rise and take a quick shower, changing into joggers and a tee shirt.  I throw a change of clothes in my bag, adding the romance novel at the last second. 

I nearly run headlong into Benni as I exit.  He’s also dressed down in preparation for training with some of the other Alpha teams. 

I ease the door shut in order to not wake anyone else on the floor.  “Everyone heading out shopping later?” 

Benni shakes his head.  “Nah, Miranda’s grandma has taken a turn for the worse so they left earlier to head back” 

“You should be with her, Benni”  Sometimes my brother takes his responsibilities too seriously. 

“I told her you’d let me go, but she said no.  This only happens every ten years so….”  He shrugs.  “Trust me, Canaan isn’t happy about it but he doesn’t want to argue with her either.” 

“Well, lets go work off his energy then.”

We cut through the kitchen, snagging some fresh muffins.  Benni winks and blows a kiss at the old omega that runs the kitchen, Agnes.  She winds up her dish cloth and pops it at his behind. 

“I swear you boys have never grown up.  Get on out of here, the rest of those are for the buffet”   She’s laughing and there’s a blush to her cheeks.  

Benni smiles and waves over his shoulder.  “We love you too Ages!” 

We make our way over to the training facility in companionable silence.  The pack grounds are already bustling with people getting ready for the First Night ceremony later today.  I’ve managed to get out of participating in the procession despite being an unmated male by helping with security for the event. 

We throw our things into a locker and join everyone else in the small arena space.  There are pairs of young men already going through several sparring matches and clumps of people watching from the bleachers above. 

Benni and I are just finishing up our second round of fights, shaking hands with our opponents and joking around with them when he catches my eye and nods in the direction of the door. 

I narrow my eyes and feel Jericho become more alert. 

Xander Grimsleigh saunters in - late, and surrounded by several other alphas and betas all seemingly cut from the same self entitled cloth.  A cluster of girls in the stands start to sqeal and wave at the group.  I swear I see one of them nearly faint, as if Xander and Co are some sort of idol group deserving of super fans. 

We grab our water bottles, taking a few drinks, while the next round of matches are set up.  I hear his voice ringing out across the space and my hackles immediately rise.

“Frankly, I don’t see anyone here that would be a challenge for an Alpha like me.  But I suppose being from one of the oldest and strongest packs, I could lend a hand educating some of the lower class alphas”  His arms are open wide as if saying ‘look at how generous I am’

A hush falls. 

I’m looking down, reaching for my towel when the toes of sneakers come into my view.  I follow the line up to come face to face with Xander. 

I haven’t been in this close of proximity to him in 15 years, preferring to not associate with his circle of sychophants. 

Before I can say anything, the Great Wall of Benedictus appears between us.  Benni lets out a low growl and puts his hand up to push Xander back.