CHAANDANI

As I looked at my reflection in the mirror, I was surprised by how beautiful the dress looked on me, with a few locks of my hair tied back with a white ribbon

I wore a gold bracelet and a few rings.

My phone pinged-Nikhil messaged me to inform that he would be here in five minutes.

I quickly applied lip gloss and took one last glance in the mirror.

I looked amazing, but there was still a weight on my heart that didn't allow me to smile fully. I had always wanted to wear such a dress but never really got the chance. Yet today, when I finally had the opportunity, I wasn't feeling genuinely happy.

I missed school today because Amma had a fever, so I stayed back. Now that she's better, Appa said I should go out.

Ishaan.

I sighed, thinking about him. Isn't it strange?

In the beginning, I wasn't really interested in him or his smile that lights up his whole face, or his love for swimming, oceans, beaches, seas, and lakes-all the things that make him who he is.

Or the way his eyes shine when he talks about his day at the academy, what he did, what he's going to do, and how everyone else is doing.

Or his wholesome, radiant presence that makes people want to soak in every bit of him. Or his silly, illogical remarks that can make anyone burst into laughter, even if they're crying.

Or how his attention makes you feel valued, loved, and cared for. Or the way he looks at people that makes them think, "When did I become so beautiful?"

Him.

He makes me wonder-where do I want to go? What do I want to think? What do I want to do?

I sighed again.

The shift in his behavior shouldn't really matter to me. I don't care if he talks to her, sees her, smiles at her, dances with her, goes to parties with her, or likes her. I don't care.

Nuh-uh.

Why would I care? He's just a normal friend of mine. But then again, why was I crying?

Maybe because he's my friend, and he should have asked me to go with him or danced with me or talked to me or just-

Ughhh.

No. I'm not going to let these irrelevant thoughts take over me. He's my friend, and I'm going to behave civilly-no, normally with him, like I do every day.

He's going with Ananya, and I'm going with Nikhil, and it's fine. Completely normal.

---

Time Skip:

As I stepped into the club, I was immediately enveloped by a whirlwind of energy.

It didn't surprise me that there were at least 50 people here.