prologue

--------------------
MAVEN

Being the eldest in a household full of strong personalities meant I was always the responsible one, the peacemaker, and the leader.

But it also meant I got teased a lot by my siblings—especially when the twins were involved.

At nineteen, I thought I'd be able to escape their antics by focusing on my college work, but no.

If anything, they had only gotten more relentless. Mga pasaway at mapang asar pa rin sila.

“Ang galing mo talaga, Ate Maven!” Aidan teased, his voice exaggeratedly admiring as he lounged on the couch, flipping through one of my designed houses.

“Sobrang sikat na ng mga gawa mo sa school, 'di ba?”

“Yeah, super famous ka na daw sa campus,” Mavrex chimed in, joining his twin in throwing me off my focus. “What's it like being a celebrity, Ate?”

I sighed, looking up from my sketchbook. “Can't you two leave me alone for just one day? Parang hindi kayo sikat sa school ah— troublesome duo" I rolled my eyes at them.

Margaux, my fourteen-year-old sister, sat across from us, trying to hold back her laughter.

She always found the twins teasing hilarious.

"That's the difference, Ate is famous for some good reason habang kayo Kuya puro pranks!" She laughed at the two, who's now defensive and pouting.

"Well at least we're enjoying atsaka, were just playing lang naman with them" Aidan reasoned.

"Oo nga, not like Ate Mavs, boring ang buhay— puro aral" Mavrex agreed.

"Kayo talaga tigilan—" I scratched my nose, ready to scold them for eavesdropping in my life when Margaux joined them.

“Eh Ate, they have a point naman. You're the famous architecture student in the family. 'Di mo ba naririnig yung kwento ni Dada? Pinagyayabang ka na daw niya sa mga friends niya! But she didn't know boring ka" She even laughed— bumaliktad agad?

I groaned. It wasn't just the attention at school, but even at home I couldn't escape it.

Being "famous" was more of a hassle than it was fun.

Sure, I loved what I did, and I worked hard to be one of the best students in the architecture department, but the last thing I wanted was to become a family celebrity.

Dada then appeared, she walked into the living room with a knowing smile. “Oh, sino na naman ang asar kay Maven?” A knowing smile playing on her lips as she saw my face.

“Of course, it's the twins” I replied, pointing at Aidan and Mavrex, who were now wrestling each other on the floor.

Mom followed close behind, laughing softly. “Mahal, you know that's how they show love. You're their idol.”

“Exactly” Aiden said, grinning as he finally sat up. “We're just proud of our Ate.”

“Sure” I said with a roll of my eyes, but I couldn't hide the smile creeping onto my face.

As much as they teased me, I knew it was their way of being supportive. Margaux, who was more subtle with her admiration, leaned over and looked at my sketchbook.

“Kaya nga Ate, we look up to you talaga. Lalo na sa mga school projects ko, 'di ba? You always help me.”

I smiled down at her. “That's because you're creative too, Margaux. Just like everyone else in this house.”