2: eyes of lies

-----------------

Analein lay on the small infirmary bed, staring up at the ceiling as the nurse applied a cold compress to her nose.

The throbbing pain had dulled, but her head still swam in confusion, frustration, and sadness. She hadn't meant to cry in front of everyone—especially not in front of Maven.

'Why did it have to happen this way?'

She could still hear the echoes of Maven's excited voice, the pure happiness in her eyes when Jaimie said yes.

The image of Maven on her knees, proposing to Jaimie for the student ball, was burned into her mind. It should have been AC there, but she was too late.

'Always too late.'

“Whew, muntik na kita di maabutan A voice said, breaking through her thoughts.

Ac blinked, looking up as Ken reentered the infirmary room with a bottle of water.

He flashed her a concerned smile as he sat beside her. “Ayos ka na ba? Medyo matindi yung tama ng bola.”

She forced a small laugh, though it didn't quite reach her eyes. “Yeah, I'm fine. Thanks for helping me out, Ken.”

"Don't mention it" He gave her a sideways glance, noticing the sadness in her eyes. “Hindi lang‘to tungkol sa soccer ball, diba?”

Ac winced internally. Ken was observant, too much for her liking right now.

"Anong sinasabi mo?" Pagmamaang-maangan nito.

"The reason bakit ka umiiyak" He nonchalantly shrugs.

Analein didn't want to talk about what just happened in the field—not with the weight of it still pressing down on her heart.

"It's nothing. I'm just—having a rough day.” She lied.

Ken sighed, leaning forward slightly. “If you're not okay, you don't have to pretend. Lalo na ngayon, Ana. You're not the type of person to break down just because of a ball on the face. Hindi nagsisinungaling ang mga mata mo” Masungit na saad nito.

"Aba mas magaling ka pa sa'kin ah, I'm okay lang nga" The woman laughed it off but Ken still has his poker face.

"I know you too well" He side eyed her, drinking from the bottle.

She let out a tired breath, feeling cornered —her fingers fidgeting with the edges of the blanket. “You don't understand, Ken.”

He raised an eyebrow. “You think I don't know what's going on? I see the way you look at Maven.”

Ac froze, her heart skipping a beat. She shot him a panicked glance. “What are you talking about?”

Ken leaned back in his chair, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Come on, Ana. Everyone can see it—except Maven, apparently. I've been watching you guys for a while now. It's obvious how much you care about her.”

Ac looked away, feeling a lump in her throat. She hated how easily he could read her, how transparent her feelings seemed to everyone but the one person who mattered most couldn't see it.

"You can tell me, I'll listen" Ken suggested, acting unaffected. Analein sighed as she looked away.

"I shouldn't felt this way, I know— but I never said anything because I thought maybe… maybe one day she'd notice me on her own” Ac whispered, her voice trembling slightly.