9: realization and wisdom

-----------------

The ride home from the school ball was suffocatingly quiet. Maven sat in the front seat of their family car, staring blankly at the window, replaying the disastrous events in her head.

Her twin brothers, Mavrex and Aidan, were in the back, equally silent, while Margaux sat beside them, her arms crossed and lips tightly pressed together in frustration.

There was an unspoken heaviness in the air, one that none of them dared to break.

Maven could still feel the weight of Ac's voice, raw and pained, ringing in her ears.

"Gusto kita"

Cress had said those words after witnessing Jaimie kissing Maven inside the ballroom. It had left her frozen in place, completely unprepared for Ac's confession.

Her best friend—her Ac—loved her, and she hadn't even realized it.

When they pulled up in front of the house, no one said a word. The boys got out first, not even glancing at Maven, while Margaux lingered for a moment.

Her little sister's voice was filled with disappointment as she whispered, "You broke her heart, Ate." Then she followed the boys inside, leaving Maven alone.

Maven sat there in the car for a moment, her breath shallow as she fought the knot tightening in her chest.

'Did I really hurt Ac?

'Did I lead her all this time?'

The questions circled her mind like a storm she couldn't escape.

Finally, she stepped out, feeling the cool night air sting her skin as she walked inside the house.

The familiar warmth of home offered little comfort tonight. Her siblings had already disappeared upstairs, no doubt wanting to avoid any further conversation.

Maven knew she needed to think, but her mind was a mess.

She's a mess.

She went to the living room, sinking into the couch and burying her face in her hands. She didn't know how long she sat there, but soon she heard the soft padding of footsteps approaching.

She looked up to see her dada, Maui, standing in the doorway, her face full of concern.

"I heard what happened— you want to talk about it?" Maui asked gently, sitting down beside her daughter and placing a hand on her knee.

Maven exhaled, feeling the weight of her mother's presence but struggling to find the right words.

"Dy... I messed up" She whispered. "Cress.. she confessed to me tonight. She told me she loves me."

Maui's eyes softened, and she stayed quiet, letting Maven continue.

"I didn't know— I swear I didn't know. Then Jaimie—she kissed me at the party, and Ac saw. I followed her outside, and we talked— I  hurt her, Dy. I didn't even realize I was hurting her this whole time."

Maui's expression remained calm, but there was a deep understanding in her eyes.

"It took you long enough to realize, anak" She pulled Maven into a hug, rubbing her back in soothing circles. "Mahal mo ba si Jaimie?" She asked after a moment, her voice was soft.

Maven froze. 'Did she?'

The confusion gnawed at her. She had liked Jaimie for so long. It was comfortable and familiar.