Chapter 20 - His Fucking Loss

"Y/N what do you think? Does it look ok?" Charlie asked after so long of putting shit on my face. Mom leaves us alone so she can put away all the makeup. I'll be real honest here, I look good. I look real fuckin' good.

"Uh...It looks alright.."

"JUST alright?" Charlie's eyebrows go up in surprise. "No, we did a good job. Now let me get the ticket, do you need a ride? Does Joey need a ride? Does Joey even know you're going to the dance?" He fires questions at me for a while but that last one makes me remember that I never contacted Joey about Homecoming. Oh fuck, no he doesn't know.

"I need to call him. I haven't talked to him since Wednesday."

"You didn't? It's kind of weird he's not talking to his date to the dance isn't it?"

"That's cause I'm not his date."

"...huh?"

"He's taking someone else..." I look down, away from Charlie's eyes. As nice as I look and the fact I'm actually going to the dance all, its all because Charlie and mom put so much effort into it. Because they think I'm going with Joey, I'm not.

"What? Who? Theres no fucking way he's taking someone else when he has a bombshell like you. Can you fucking see yourself right now?"

"He's going with a new girl that I don't know. Melissa's her fucking name and I don't know her fuckin' game. He told me she was cute, shy and fucking lovely. He met her the day I got suspended and also the day you started talking to me again so.... I have nothing to beat that...the cute and pretty shit...I'm clearly not his type if he's going to fall in love with someone else in a day."

"What an asshole! I literally saw the light in his eyes when I mentioned you and then he goes and just asks another girl he met the same day?" He sat down, trying to process what he just heard. Out of all the people, I think it's fair he gets the damn time to do so. He's the one who liked me first, he's the one who gave up time to help me, to be here to fix my look, and to possibly drive me later.

"I'm just there to guard."

"Just to guard?"

"Just to guard."

...

"Call him." He says this with so much force Jesus.

"What?"

"I said, call him. Tell him you're going. Show him what he's losing."

"That's kinda petty ain't it?" I sat down along with him. "Also I do need a ride, I don't wanna ask mom or dad."

"You look like a ghost of yourself. Because of that guy. You didn't even snap back at me in the last few hours. I'll be in the car, call him and come to me when you're ready. I'll take you, I don't need to pick anyone else up anyways." Charlie walks off to the front door. I hear the door open and shut a few seconds later.

I really should call him.

RING RING

"Y/N, hi how are you?" He answers in his sickly sweet voice.

"I just wanted to tell you I was able to get a ticket to Homecoming and I'm going."

"..."

"Hello?"

"...That's great Y/N, I didn't think you would go either way because you seem like the person who doesn't like going to dances. I kinda wish you told me earlier..."

"Wait, why?" Ok now I need to know. Cause apparently me telling him earlier would have changed something? I don't know.

"Sorry I have to go, but I'll see you at the dance. I have to get ready."

"Ok-"

"Bye Y/n, love you-"

BEEEEP

WHAT.

"Wait no come back! What do you mean 'love you', what kind of fuckary is this? Joey!" It was too late. He's already going to the dance, so why, why are you torturing me this way dammit. Fine, let's go to the dance and see how this pans out, I see how it is.

I say goodbye to my mom and lock the door behind me. Chad's in his car looking at me all concerned and shit. I give him a reassuring smile and a really awkward thumbs up. I didn't say this before but I do really appreciate having him as a friend again.

Let's do this shit, I need to see him now that he decided to fuck with me with that 'Love you' shit. I walk to the car and get in.

"So? What did he say or do or whatever?"

"He confused the shit out of me, that's what."

"In what way?"

"He said he didn't think I would go to the dance even if I wasn't suspended because I seemed like the type of person to not go. He's not wrong on that part, I don't want to go for myself. He also said he wished I had said this to him earlier as if this would have changed his plans." Charlie shifted his weight to his right to look at me. He thought about what I said for a second and continued talking.

"Ok that's weird but maybe he thought he could have hung out with you during the dance if you told him sooner."

"That wouldn't change what he would do anyways. I'm not the person he wants to see. Plus I didn't even tell you the part that confused the shit out of me."

"Which is?"

"He said 'Bye, love you,' and then hung up-"

"Fucking what? Ok lets get the the dance, we need to figure out whats his deal."

"Yep."