First Contact

Mikha took a deep breath, her mind made up. "I think I'll go introduce myself to the engineer," she announced to the group, glancing at the Marshal and Colet.

The Marshal raised an eyebrow, a teasing smile playing on her lips. "Oh, really? And what are you planning to say? Are you going to impress her with your piloting skills?"

Colet joined in, smirking. "Or maybe you'll just trip over your own words, huh? Do you need a lesson in how to talk to engineers?"

Mikha rolled her eyes, a smile creeping onto her face. "I'll manage just fine, thank you very much. It's not like I'm trying to woo her or anything."

Sheena, who had been quietly listening, suddenly chimed in with a playful grin. "But wouldn't that be a story? The pilot who falls for the engineer! It's a classic romance trope."

"Alright, alright, enough with the teasing," Mikha said, trying to maintain her composure but unable to hide her smile. "I'll see you all later." With that, she stepped out of the room, her heart racing a little with anticipation.

As she approached the engineer, she noticed Aiah was deeply engrossed in organizing parts and checking equipment for the new Jaegers. Mikha took a moment to gather her thoughts before starting the conversation. "Did you know that the first Mark 1 Jaegers, Lakan Bayani and Cordillera Marauder, were revolutionary in their design? They set the stage for all the advancements we have now."

Aiah looked up from her tablet, her brow furrowed in confusion. "Who are you?"

Mikha smiled, her confidence bolstering. "I'm Mikha. I piloted Cardinal Watcher alongside my brother, Enzo."

Recognition flickered in Aiah's eyes. "Oh! I've heard of you two. You're the siblings who fought in the last Kaiju event."

"Yeah, that's us," Mikha replied, feeling a little more at ease. "I just wanted to say I'm sorry for bumping into you yesterday. I was a bit distracted."

Aiah chuckled softly, shaking her head. "No, I should apologize. I was running some errands in the engineering department, and I guess I wasn't watching where I was going. I'm Maraiah, but everyone calls me Aiah."

"It's great to finally meet you, Aiah," Mikha said, extending her hand. "And thanks for all the hard work you do here. I can't imagine how much goes into keeping the Jaegers running."

Aiah smiled, accepting the handshake. "Thank you! It's a team effort, really. We all play our part in making sure the Jaegers are ready to go when we need them."

"I was actually talking to the Marshal about you," Mikha said, gauging Aiah's reaction. "I think you have a lot of potential, and I suggested you might try out piloting during our training sessions."

Aiah's eyes widened in surprise. "Me? A pilot? I've only ever worked on the engineering side of things. I don't think I have what it takes."

Mikha shook her head, her enthusiasm undeterred. "You never know until you try. Plus, having a strong engineering background could give you an edge in the cockpit. You'd understand the systems better than anyone else."

Aiah looked thoughtful, biting her lip as she considered Mikha's words. "I appreciate that, really. It's just... a big leap."

"Every pilot started somewhere, right?" Mikha encouraged. "We can work together. I can help you with the basics, and we can see if it's something you'd enjoy."

Aiah smiled, her hesitation softening. "Alright, I'll think about it. Thank you for believing in me."

Mikha beamed, feeling a surge of excitement at the possibility. "Great! Just let me know when you're ready to give it a shot."