Chapter 1

Prologue:

A FALL AFTERNOON

The scent of old parchment and ink filled the dimly lit room as the evening sun cast a soft, golden glow through the dusty windows. Elowen, a quiet young woman, sat at the small wooden table in the corner of her grandmother’s library. Her fingers traced the worn edges of a book she’d read countless times, the pages whispering secrets of ancient myths and forgotten realms. This had always been her sanctuary—this room filled with stories that spoke of places beyond her reach.

Outside, the world was loud, fast, and often too much to bear. But here, time seemed to stand still, as if the weight of the past held it in place. The flicker of candlelight reflected in Elowen’s deep brown eyes, illuminating her thoughts as they wandered through the labyrinth of her mind. This library, this maze of knowledge, had always been the key to understanding herself, though she didn’t know why yet.

Her grandmother had been a mystery, too—eccentric, wise, with a touch of something almost magical about her. She was the one who had opened Elowen’s eyes to the stories hidden in books and the possibilities they held. But now, her grandmother was gone, leaving behind not just a legacy of books but something far more significant—a labyrinth.

It had been a few weeks since Elowen had found the key. The brass object was small, simple in design, yet held an aura of power that she couldn’t quite explain. She had discovered it tucked between the pages of her grandmother’s favorite book, a cryptic note attached: For when the time is right, follow the path, my dear. It was her grandmother’s handwriting, delicate yet firm, as if each word was chosen with care and purpose.

Since then, Elowen had been haunted by dreams—dreams of a labyrinth that stretched endlessly before her, its walls towering high and its corridors twisting in ways that defied logic. In these dreams, her grandmother’s voice would call out to her, urging her to keep moving, to find the heart of the maze. And always, always, Elowen would wake just before she reached the center, her hand gripping the key tightly.

Now, as the sun dipped below the horizon, painting the sky in hues of pink and orange, Elowen felt the pull again. It was subtle but undeniable—a tug at her very soul, urging her to leave the safety of the library and venture into the unknown. The labyrinth was calling, and Elowen knew she couldn’t ignore it any longer.

She stood up slowly, her heart pounding in her chest. The key was warm in her hand, as if it had been waiting for this moment. She slipped it into her pocket and grabbed the worn leather journal her grandmother had left behind. It, too, was filled with cryptic messages, sketches of strange symbols, and half-told stories. But perhaps, just perhaps, it held the answers she needed.

As Elowen stepped out of the library, the air seemed to shift around her, growing cooler and more still. The world outside felt different now, as if the labyrinth had already begun to weave itself into her reality. Her journey had begun, though she didn’t yet understand the depth of what lay ahead.

The last rays of sunlight vanished, and with them, any trace of normalcy. Elowen glanced back at the house, the comforting light of the library flickering in the window. She hesitated for just a moment, then turned her back on the familiar and stepped into the unknown.

———

Chapter 1:

The air had a strange weight to it that morning, a stillness that clung to Elowen like an invisible shroud as she made her way down the narrow path to the village library. The world seemed unchanged on the surface—birds chirped from the treetops, the sun bathed the landscape in soft, golden light, and the scent of fresh earth hung in the breeze. Yet, something beneath it all felt different. A hum, a vibration in the very atmosphere, thrummed just beyond the reach of her senses.