Chapter 9

The passageway Elowen found herself in was unlike any she had encountered before. Gone were the twisting corridors of stone and shadow. Instead, she stood in a narrow, perfectly straight hallway carved from smooth, pale marble. The air here was different—calm, cool, and oddly sterile. There was no sense of movement, no whispering wind or distant echoes. It felt as though she had stepped into a place untouched by time.

She walked cautiously, her footsteps almost too loud in the stillness. The key was still clutched in her hand, and though she couldn't explain why, it felt heavier now, as if the object was absorbing the weight of the journey she was on. Its presence grounded her, reminding her of the purpose that had brought her this far.

As she moved deeper into the hallway, she began to notice something peculiar—every few steps, the marble walls would shift slightly, like a mirage rippling in the heat. The images that flickered across the surface were vague at first, indistinct shapes and shadows that danced just beyond the edge of perception. But the further she went, the clearer they became.

Faces. Silent, unmoving faces, watching her from the walls. They appeared and disappeared like ghosts, their expressions unreadable but filled with a quiet intensity. Elowen shuddered, keeping her gaze straight ahead, refusing to meet their eyes. She couldn’t afford to be distracted, not now.

At the end of the hallway, a figure awaited her. Tall and still, it stood motionless, like a statue carved from the same marble that surrounded her. As she approached, she realized it was not a mere sculpture—it was an armored sentinel, its face hidden behind a featureless helm. The armor was ancient, covered in intricate patterns that gleamed faintly in the dim light. In its hands, it held a massive spear, the tip resting on the ground, its sharp edge gleaming ominously.

The key in Elowen’s hand pulsed with energy as she drew nearer to the sentinel. There was no doubt in her mind—this was another trial, another test. The sentinel’s presence was like a silent challenge, daring her to step closer, to confront whatever lay ahead.

Taking a deep breath, Elowen stopped a few feet away from the sentinel, her gaze locked on the empty faceplate of its helm. “I seek passage,” she said, her voice steady despite the tension in the air. “I hold the key.”

For a long moment, nothing happened. The sentinel remained still, as though it hadn’t heard her at all. But then, slowly, its head tilted down, as if acknowledging the key in her hand. The air around Elowen grew heavy, thick with an unseen force, and she felt a pressure building in her chest.

Suddenly, the sentinel raised its spear, the movement swift and precise. It drove the weapon into the ground with a thunderous crash, sending a shockwave through the marble floor. The impact caused the faces in the walls to ripple, their silent watchfulness turning into something darker—judgmental, almost accusing.

Before Elowen could react, the sentinel stepped forward, its armored footfalls echoing ominously. She gripped the key tighter, her mind racing. She had faced dangers before, but this...this felt different. This was not a battle of wits or puzzles—it was a confrontation of will, a test of her resolve to continue.

Her instincts screamed at her to flee, but she stood her ground, meeting the sentinel’s faceless gaze with unwavering determination. She had come too far to turn back now.

With a sudden, fluid motion, the sentinel swung its spear in a wide arc, the blade slicing through the air with deadly precision. Elowen ducked just in time, the sharp edge passing mere inches above her head. She rolled to the side, her heart pounding in her chest as she scrambled to her feet.

The sentinel didn’t pause. It lunged forward, the spear aimed directly at her. But Elowen was ready this time. She sidestepped the attack, her movements quick and calculated. Her mind was focused, her body responding instinctively to the threat.