Chapter 23

The dawn light had just begun to break over the horizon as Elowen continued her journey across the vast, open landscape. The endless sky above her stretched out in all directions, a canvas painted in soft shades of pink and gold, promising a new beginning. The air was crisp, carrying with it a scent of fresh grass and earth. With every step, she felt lighter, the weight of the labyrinth slowly fading from her shoulders. Yet, there was something stirring in the wind—a faint sound, barely perceptible, like the distant echo of a song carried through time.

For the first time in days, Elowen felt free. The labyrinth, with all its challenges and mysteries, was behind her now, and she was walking toward a future of her own making. Yet, as she moved further away from the place that had shaped her journey, a strange feeling tugged at the edge of her consciousness. It was as though the labyrinth was still with her, its presence lingering in the air like a forgotten memory.

The sound in the distance grew slightly louder, a soft, melodic hum that seemed to come from nowhere and everywhere at once. Elowen stopped, closing her eyes and listening intently. It was unlike anything she had heard before—haunting, yet beautiful, like the remnants of a forgotten tune. It called to her, beckoning her forward, pulling her toward something she couldn’t yet see.

Her heart quickened, a mixture of curiosity and unease rising within her. She had thought the labyrinth was behind her, but the song made her wonder if it was truly over. Was this another challenge? Another test? Or was it something more?

Opening her eyes, she looked ahead. In the distance, she saw a faint outline—a dark shape rising against the soft glow of the sunrise. It was too far away to make out clearly, but it stood out starkly against the otherwise empty landscape, as if it didn’t belong. Without hesitation, Elowen started walking toward it, her curiosity outweighing any lingering fear.

As she drew closer, the shape began to take form. It was a large, ancient tree, its gnarled branches reaching up toward the sky like twisted arms. The tree was unlike any she had seen before—its bark was dark and smooth, almost black, and its leaves shimmered faintly in the morning light, giving it an ethereal, otherworldly appearance.

At the base of the tree, there was a stone pedestal, weathered and worn by time. Resting atop it was something that made Elowen's heart skip a beat—a small, delicate music box. It was intricately carved, the metalwork glinting in the soft light, and as she approached, she could hear the faint melody emanating from it—the same distant song that had drawn her here.

She reached out, her fingers trembling slightly as they hovered over the music box. It was beautiful, but there was something unsettling about it, as if it held a secret that had been waiting for her to uncover. Taking a deep breath, she gently lifted the lid.

The moment the box opened, the melody grew louder, filling the air around her. The sound was enchanting, almost hypnotic, and for a moment, Elowen was lost in it, the world around her fading into the background. The music swirled around her, wrapping her in its gentle embrace, and as it did, images began to form in her mind.

She saw flashes of the labyrinth—its winding corridors, its dark, mysterious chambers, and the faces of those she had met along the way. Her grandmother’s voice echoed in the distance, but this time, it was joined by another voice, one she didn’t recognize. It was soft and melodic, whispering words she couldn’t quite make out, but the tone was unmistakable— it was beckoning her, calling her toward something deeper, something hidden within the song.

Her hand hovered over the music box, unsure whether to close it or leave it open. The melody had awakened something inside her, a feeling that there was more to discover, more to understand. But with that feeling came a sense of danger, as if the song was both a gift and a warning.