Chapter 6: Life as a Stray

Back in the year of 2000, the dog catchers' van just missed our group of German Shepherds and Chase, his siblings, and their new friend Hazel, feel like they are on the run. But as Hazel learned before he met them, and how Chase knew in a matter of minutes in his childhood, life as a stray always makes you feel like you are on the run, a fugitive hunted by the law. But running from dog catchers and street dogs are barely the tip of the iceberg. There's no shelter, no warm couch to lay on, and most importantly no food. Then they heard their stomachs growl like bears. 

Patchy: Whoa. How long did we go without eating?

Dolly: (hoarse) At least five hours. 

Hazel: What do we eat?

Fluffy: I am not sure.

Chase: Well . . . I guess . . . drastic times call for drastic measures.

Patchy: What are you saying?

Chase: You guys stay here while I get us some food. 

Patchy: (scoffs) YOU get us some food? 

Chase didn't listen to his brother's doubt as he walked away stealthily to a restaurant ahead of the street. Once he got there, he saw a careless citizen up the street ahead with headphones on his head and a boombox in his hand connected to them, walks out of a restaurant with his meal that was to-go and met up with his friends. He carelessly dropped his meal and didn't give a darn about it. As he drove off with his friends, Chase walked to the discarded food, smelt it, and found out it was still good. Untouched. Chase smiled, for he's not stealing it if the careless civilian didn't want it.

Chase: Jackpot. 

Meanwhile, hazel wondered why Patchy is always like this towards Chase. It's the childish innocence in him to ask him.

Hazel: Why are you so mean to Chase?

Patchy: (begins confidently) Because-- (pauses and realizes something) I -- Well, I - -

Then that's when Patchy realized that Hazel's got him. He spent the entire trip here having a grudge against Chase and blamed him for it. Why? He doesn't know. Maybe it was the anger getting to him. Maybe it was his stress messing with his mind. Finally, he answered.

Patchy: I... actually . . . I do not know. Maybe I was . . . just angry at him for being here. I shouldn't be mad at my brother. Why did I threaten him earlier?

Hazel: What does threaten mean?

Dolly: Have someone ask you that when you're older.

Fluffy: Hey! Look! Chase is back!!

Chase: (bag of food with him) And I have struck gold today, guys.

As Chase set the food down in front of everyone, Hazel could not believe his eyes. There was a whole bag with to-go boxes full of hamburgers with extra cheese, extra lettuce, extra tomato, fries, cupped drinks, everything!!! Patchy and Fluffy couldn't believe it either. 

Patchy: No way!!!!!! Food!!!!!!!!! (about to lunge)

Fluffy: (holds Patchy back) Hold on, Patchy. Someone here hasn't had food in . . . (looks to Hazel) how long?

Hazel: (somber) Two days.

Patchy: Oh.

Chase: Let him have half. The rest of us can divide the other half into even pieces.

Dolly: So . . . did you STEAL this?!?

Chase: Dolly, looking back on what I am, you think I would WILLINGLY steal something? Some reckless teenager dropped this like it was a bad fashion trend.