Chapter 2: The Accident

The next cloudy day, Ryder noticed that Chase's pup tag, along with his siblings', have been damaged or running low on battery. So, he took them in for repair, having that on his to-do list for today. Chase and his siblings come out of the Lookout, with no tags. Just collars. Everyone else noticed this and were confused.

Sammy: Pups? What happened to your puptags?

Dolly: Ryder's fixing them.

Chase: They were in need of repair, so that's why he took them.

Tristan: Huh. Makes sense. 

Rocky: You know, Chase, this is the third time we saw you without a tag, and this time it's for good reason!

Nano: When was the first?

Skye: When Butch and Ruben pupnapped him.

Patchy: Ohh, I've heard about that.

Chase: (regaining memories) I'd . . . rather not . . . remember that.

Tristan: Wait. Butch and Ruben?

Zuma: Yeah. One dude has a goatee, blond hair, skinny. 

Marshall: Another guy is humongous and looks like Eric Bauza.

Fluffy: Why do you ask?

Tristan: When the bad guys attacked the Lookout earlier this week, I saw those two and I thought . . . they looked familiar to me.

Chase: But . . . wouldn't they have recognized you?

Tristan: Oh no. I was a pup. But . . . that point in time is something I'd rather not mention. Even though I had friends back then . . . I never saw them again.

Sammy knew what Tristan meant, but their pups didn't. Meanwhile, in his workshop, Ryder was busy working on something that needed to be done immediately. Something far more important than communication problems. The lie detector --- AGHH!!! TIME MACHINE!!! DARN IT, TOT!!!!! (Tot snickers) Ahem. Anyway, TIME MACHINE, was low on batteries after the events with Victor and when he almost terminated time. But the technology is so advanced the boy is struggling to understand it. The machine didn't require Duracell batteries. It needed something from Carl's universe that he's not sure where to get it from in the present. All other things he tried had failed.

Ryder: UGH!!! Why do things from the future HAVE TO BE this advanced? This is 15 years ahead of me! And when a new technology is invented, all I do is adapt. How can I adapt THIS?!

Later, Ryder comes out of the Lookout, stressed out. The pups were worried about Ryder when they saw him like this. They thought he was in a funk, but it turns out he just needed help.

Rocky: You okay, Ryder?

Ryder: Oh. Nothing, Rocky. I just can't seem to find a way to charge this thing.

Sammy: What is it?

Skye: It's our lie detect--AGHH!! Tot! (Tot snickers) I meant TIME MACHINE to visit our pups from the future.

Tristan: Wait. That thing . . . is a time machine?

Chase: Time machine, reality previewer, and multiversal travel device. 

Patchy: Awe. Some.

Rubble: What's wrong with it?

Ryder: Apparently, it requires something that is hard to get in this universe.