Chapter 5: Dancing With Destiny

Chapter 5: The  Beacon Dance; Dancing With Destiny

"I have to admit," James Ironwood said, adjusting his Atlas military formal wear as he stood with Ozpin near the punch bowl, "when you invited me to observe Beacon's dance, I didn't expect quite this level of... entertainment."

Ozpin's eyes twinkled as they watched Qrow Branwen, uncomfortably tugging at his collar in a surprisingly well-fitted dark suit, pretending not to watch the entrance. "Sometimes, James, the best strategic operations are matters of the heart."

"Speaking of operations," Glynda Goodwitch approached, a rare smile playing at her lips, "I believe everything is in place. Mr. Xiao Long has somehow managed to secure every other available dance partner in his year."

"Quite the coincidence," Ozpin mused, sipping his cocoa.

Near the dance floor, Summer Rose adjusted her white dress and gave Taiyang a thumbs up. The blonde huntsman-in-training grinned back, having just finished explaining to the fifteenth hopeful dance partner that he was, regrettably, booked solid for every dance that evening.

"Raven's handling the last few stragglers," Tai reported to Summer. "Though I think most people figured out what we're doing and just started playing along."

"Even the exchange students?" Summer's silver eyes sparkled with mischief.

"Especially them. That team from Vacuo thought it was hilarious. They're actually taking bets on how long it'll take them to figure out they've been set up."

High Queen Hyuuan, resplendent in a gown that seemed woven from starlight, exchanged amused glances with her husband. "Rather elaborate lengths these young ones are going to, wouldn't you say?"

"Indeed," Berethon agreed, his formal attire incorporating both dark elven and human design elements. "Though not entirely unlike that time your handmaidens conspired to leave us alone in the moonlight gardens."

"That was different," Hyuuan protested softly. "We weren't nearly as stubborn as these two."

"Weren't we?"

Their conversation halted as a ripple of attention moved through the ballroom. Princess Lailah had arrived, and for once, she wasn't in her combat gear or formal guard attire. Her gown was a masterpiece of dark elven design - flowing layers of midnight blue and silver that complemented her lavender and silver-speckled hair, which had been partially braided with moonflowers. Her orange eyes, highlighted by subtle shimmer, scanned the room with trained vigilance that couldn't quite hide her nervousness.

Near the punch bowl, Qrow dropped his cup.

"Oh, he's got it bad," Raven muttered, materializing beside her teammates. Her own red dress was elegant but practical. "Look at his face."

Qrow's expression was indeed something to behold - a complex mix of awe, panic, and what could only be described as complete surrender to the inevitable.

"Should we start the music?" Summer whispered.

"Wait for it," Tai advised, watching as Lailah noticed Qrow and immediately adopted her most regal posture - the one they'd all learned meant she was feeling particularly vulnerable.

Professor Peach, passing by with a knowing smile, "accidentally" bumped into Lailah, sending her gracefully stumbling in Qrow's direction. He moved without thinking, catching her arm to steady her.

"Nice reflexes, Branwen," Lailah said softly, not quite meeting his eyes.

"Years of practice falling for- I mean, catching people falling," Qrow corrected himself, earning a few poorly suppressed snickers from nearby students.