Chapter 17 - A Bond That Grows

Jeanne and Daniel remained like this, their hands intertwined under the table, until the end of the class. Every moment spent together strengthened their connection, a gentle warmth spreading between them. Daniel, touched by the way Jeanne kept falling asleep, watched her in silence, a slight smile on his lips. Her peaceful face seemed to affect him more than he had expected.

When the bell signaled the end of the class, Daniel leaned towards her, gently brushing her hair with his fingers to wake her up. "Jeanne, wake up," he whispered. Jeanne slowly stirred, her eyelids still heavy with sleep. She smiled at him before sitting up, gathering her things with a certain slowness. She wished she could prolong this moment, stay by his side, but her friends were already waiting for her outside.

As she left the classroom, she cast one last glance at Daniel, hoping to see him again before the end of the day. But her friends quickly surrounded her, and soon laughter erupted once more. Together, they walked down the streets toward their homes, joking about their day.

Once home, Jeanne collapsed onto the couch, exhausted. Sleep overtook her quickly. A few hours later, she woke up feeling strangely rested, as if she had slept for an eternity. She got up, headed to the bathroom to freshen up, then grabbed her phone. The first message waiting for her was from Daniel.

Daniel
-Hey Jeanne, I just wanted to wish you a good night. I'm sure you're already asleep, but send me a message when you wake up, just so I know how you're doing.

Jeanne smiled, touched by the thoughtfulness. She hesitated for a moment, then replied:

Jeanne
-Hey Daniel, yeah, I was asleep. Now I can't fall back asleep. If you're awake and bored, you can come over.*

She read over her message several times, a bit surprised by her own spontaneity. But deep down, she hoped he would accept. Her phone buzzed almost immediately.

Daniel
-On my way.

Jeanne smiled, her heart beating a little faster. She stepped out onto the terrace, lit a cigarette, and gazed at the ocean stretching out before her. The cool evening breeze brushed against her face as she waited for Daniel, anticipation growing.

A few minutes later, there was a knock at the door. Jeanne went to open it, a teasing smile on her lips. "You're so hooked," she teased when she saw him. Daniel, leaning against the doorframe, responded with an amused grin, "What makes you say that?" Jeanne stepped closer, her face near his, playing with the familiar proximity. "Maybe the fact that it only took you a few minutes to get here..."

Daniel wasn’t fazed this time. "I just seized an opportunity." Jeanne burst out laughing and wrapped her arms around his neck. "And what opportunity is that?" she asked, her eyes locking with his. Daniel placed his hands on her waist, a playful smile on his face. "We'll see," he replied simply.

Jeanne laughed again and stepped back, heading toward the couch. She sat down and invited Daniel to join her. To her surprise, he chose to sit at the opposite end of the couch. Jeanne, taken aback, got up and sat right next to him, leaning until she sprawled across his lap. Daniel chuckled softly, lifting her chin to straighten her up. "Tell me, who's hooked now?"

Jeanne laughed in return, realizing he had won this little game of closeness. "You won this time," she admitted. But Daniel wasn’t done. He slipped a hand around her waist and pulled her close, tickling her lightly. Jeanne burst into laughter, his fingers sending pleasant shivers through her. She felt good, safe, as if nothing could touch them.

Lost in the moment, Daniel looked at her with newfound tenderness. "Can I kiss you, please?" he suddenly asked, his voice full of softness. Jeanne, surprised by the directness of his request, looked into his eyes, her heart beating a little faster. But instead of answering right away, she decided to play along. "No," she said with a mischievous smile. "Let me enjoy you a little longer. I'm afraid you'll leave after that kiss."

Daniel rolled his eyes, amused. "You're talking about the rumors?" Jeanne nodded as she moved closer again. "Maybe." She found herself straddling him, her hands resting on his shoulders. Daniel, more serious this time, murmured, "I'm tired of those rumors. I want you to trust me and love me. Because I love you."

Daniel’s words hit Jeanne hard. She hadn’t expected such sincerity, not so soon. In response, she leaned in and pressed her lips to his. Daniel kissed her back with equal tenderness, his hands gently tightening around her hips. Jeanne pulled back slightly, teasing, "Hey, slow down, big guy!"

She buried her head in his neck, whispering, "I trust you, Daniel. And I love you too, despite those rumors." Daniel shivered under her breath, but he agreed to take things slow. Their moment stretched out softly until they eventually fell asleep in each other's arms, their bodies wrapped around each other. A comforting warmth settled between them, as if this night marked a turning point in their relationship.

Jeanne, nestled against Daniel's chest, fell asleep with a smile on her lips, knowing that despite all the rumors, she had found something far more precious: love.