Chapter 7 - Escape

The sky was a brilliant blue as Jeanne and Thomas walked out of the school gates, suspended for the week. It felt strange to leave the place so early, without having to face the hours of classes that followed. Jeanne felt like she was outside of reality, as if none of it really concerned her life anymore. The incident with Rachelle, the cruel words, the tears... Everything seemed blurry, distant.

They walked in silence toward the exit, their bags light on their shoulders, the sun already beating down hard on their heads. Thomas, as usual, was calm. He didn’t need to speak for her to know that he supported her. His simple gaze said it all. Jeanne could still feel the weight of Rachelle’s words pressing on her heart, but Thomas’ presence beside her was soothing.

As they left the school, Thomas finally broke the silence. “Should we go to your place or mine?” he asked casually.

Jeanne shrugged. “Doesn’t matter. We can start at your place if you want.” Thomas nodded, and they headed towards his house, just a few streets away.

When they arrived, Thomas carefully explained to his parents what had happened. He detailed the incident with Rachelle, Jeanne’s slap, and his own reaction. Jeanne, meanwhile, remained silent, watching the scene from a distance. She expected Thomas’ parents to reprimand him for his actions, but to her surprise, they praised him. “We’re proud of you, Thomas,” his mother said with a smile. “You stood up for your friend, and that’s all that matters.”

Thomas responded with a slight nod, as if it didn’t really matter to him. For Jeanne, it was a relief to see her friends supported. She wondered how her own father would react when he heard the news. She knew he wouldn’t read her message for several days, as he was always absorbed in his work.

After leaving Thomas’ house, they made their way to Jeanne’s. On the way, she quickly drafted a message to her father, briefly explaining what had happened. She didn’t have the energy to write a long text, and she knew he wouldn’t read it for a while anyway. The fact that he was so often absent, even during difficult times, weighed on her, but she had learned to live with it.

When they arrived at Jeanne’s house, they settled on the terrace, facing the sea. The sound of the waves slightly eased the tension that continued to weigh on her shoulders. She loved this place, this quiet spot that allowed her to escape, to let her thoughts drift with the waves. The sun was beginning to set slowly, painting the sky in warm colors.

That’s when she heard knocks at the front door. As she got up to open it, she found Lynne and Mattheo, smiling, their arms loaded with bags filled with food and alcohol. “We thought you might need some company tonight,” Lynne said with a shrug.

Jeanne smiled, touched by their thoughtfulness. “You guys are the best,” she murmured, letting them in.

The evening that followed was both lighthearted and comforting. They spent hours talking, laughing, drinking, and even reliving some of the previous day’s moments with a dark sense of humor. It was their way of dealing with things, lightening the difficult events with laughter and loyal company. Jeanne knew she could count on them, and that brought her some inner peace, even if it didn’t completely erase the wounds.

They went to bed late, long after midnight, exhausted by the evening and the day’s events. Lynne and Mattheo eventually left to go home, while Jeanne and Thomas collapsed on the couch. It wasn’t until late the next morning that the two friends emerged, their eyes still heavy with sleep and their bodies stiff.

Jeanne, her gaze distant, leaned against Thomas on the couch, her thoughts still marked by Rachelle’s words. Even though she had enjoyed a pleasant evening surrounded by her friends, the pain resurfaced in waves, unpredictable. Thomas, always protective, sensed the weight inside her. He draped an arm around her shoulders, his fingers gently gliding through her hair, while his other hand rested on her arm, trying to comfort her. Jeanne let him, sinking further into his embrace, appreciating the reassuring warmth of his presence.

They remained like that for long minutes, in a soothing silence. Jeanne had always considered Thomas like a brother, just as she did Mattheo. They had been there forever, and she loved them with an unwavering intensity that went beyond words. Her world would have seemed much emptier without them.

“It’s going to be okay, Jeanne,” Thomas murmured, gently breaking the silence. “We’re here for you, you know that.”

She nodded, unable to respond any other way. Words failed her, but she knew that Thomas understood without her having to speak.

After a while, Thomas sat up slightly and suggested, “Do you want to go meet Lynne and Mattheo at school? They’re probably waiting for us to go to the beach.”

Jeanne looked up at him, surprised that he had thought of that. A small glimmer of hope crossed her eyes. “Yeah, why not,” she finally replied, a timid smile on her lips.

They stood up, stretching before leaving the house. The sun was high in the sky, and the sea, shimmering in the distance, was calling to them. Jeanne felt slightly lighter at the thought of the beach, her friends, and the idea of getting back into a comforting routine.

The day ahead might be difficult at times, but with Thomas by her side, she knew she could get through it.