Chapter 20 - Reconfort

Jeanne rushed toward the front door, her breath shallow, her vision slightly blurred by the tears that threatened to fall. She felt cornered, judged, as if her presence in this house was a monumental mistake. Every word spoken by Daniel's parents still echoed in her mind, reducing her to a stranger, someone who didn’t deserve to be there. Daniel, despite his bewildered expression, couldn’t manage to hold her back. The weight of his own family seemed to crush him as much as it crushed her.

“Jeanne, wait!” Daniel ran after her, but she didn’t turn around, her heart heavy and her cheeks burning. He finally caught her gently by the arm as she reached the door.

She stopped, her back to him, her shoulders slightly trembling. Daniel could feel how deeply this situation had hurt her. She wasn’t just a passing fling for him, and seeing his parents treat her this way made him furious.

“I’m sorry,” he murmured, his eyes fixed on the curve of her back, “I… I didn’t want it to go like this.”

Jeanne took a deep breath before slowly turning around, finally meeting his gaze. Her face was marked by sadness and a hint of restrained anger. She loved Daniel, but the affront from his parents had cut her deeply.

“It’s not your fault, Daniel. But… I can’t stay here. Not in an environment where I’m not accepted.” Her voice trembled, filled with the pain she was trying to hold back.

Daniel remained silent for a moment, searching for the right words. He knew his parents wouldn’t change their minds easily. Their mindset, rigid and steeped in decades of traditions and values tied to their social status, wouldn’t bend to the love he had for Jeanne. But that didn’t mean he was willing to give up.

“Jeanne... I don’t care what they think. It’s you I want. You’re the one who matters.”

She lowered her eyes, touched by his words, but the weight of what they had just gone through felt overwhelming. She needed time, space, to think. She gently pulled away from his embrace and whispered in a weak, almost inaudible voice, “Let me go, just for today.”

Daniel stared at her for a moment, torn between his desire to keep her close and his need to respect her feelings. Finally, he nodded, his eyes sad but understanding. “Alright... but I’ll call you tonight. Promise me we’ll talk.”

Jeanne gave him a faint smile before turning away and stepping out the door. Once outside, she inhaled the fresh air deeply, feeling the weight of the house and its expectations lift from her. She walked quickly toward her home, hoping the distance would ease her pain.

***

At home, Jeanne collapsed onto the couch, her thoughts swirling in every direction. Her father, as usual, was sitting in the living room chair, absentmindedly flipping through a newspaper. When he saw her come in, her eyes red and her shoulders slumped, he put the paper down and frowned.

“What’s going on, Jeanne?”

She didn’t answer right away, the silence stretching as she gathered her thoughts. She knew her father had often been absent in her life, lost in his work trips and his own worries. But at that moment, she felt the need to confide in him. She wanted to share what she was feeling, to explain what she was going through with Daniel.

Finally, she looked up at him, settling more comfortably on the couch. “I need to talk to you about Daniel... about everything that happened today.”

Her father raised his eyebrows slightly, visibly surprised. Jeanne had never really talked to him about her relationships before. He put down his newspaper and crossed his arms, adopting a more attentive posture.

“I’m listening.”

Jeanne took a deep breath before starting to tell him everything. She spoke of Daniel, how he had treated her with such kindness and attention that made her feel special. She recounted their moments of closeness, the way their connection grew deeper. But she also couldn’t help expressing the pain she felt when his parents judged her, seeing her as less than nothing because of her modest background.

Each word felt harder to say than the last, but she forced herself to lay it all out. Her father listened intently, his expression grave but kind, allowing Jeanne to pour out her sorrow and doubts.

When Jeanne finished, a heavy silence filled the room. Her father thought for a moment, weighing his words carefully before responding.

“Jeanne, you’re a good person. You don’t need to feel inferior to anyone because of your social status. These people... they don’t know you. And if they judge you based on appearances, they’re the ones who are losing out, not you.” His voice was firm, but laced with tenderness.

Jeanne lowered her eyes, moved by his words. She wasn’t used to her father taking the time to talk to her like this, let alone offering such support.

“Do you love this boy?” he asked suddenly, his tone softer.

She looked up at him and nodded. “Yes... I really do.”

Her father remained silent for a moment, then a tender smile appeared on his lips. He got up from his chair and sat next to her on the couch, wrapping an arm around her shoulders. “Then that’s all that matters. There will always be obstacles. But if you’re sure of your feelings, if you’re sure of each other, then you’ll find a way to get through it.”

Jeanne leaned against her father, feeling a wave of relief wash over her. His words were like a soothing balm on her wounds. She knew nothing would be easy, that Daniel’s parents would remain an obstacle, but for the first time since that afternoon, she felt less alone.

“Thank you, Dad,” she whispered, closing her eyes.

He held her a little tighter, in silence, simply there for her. Jeanne realized then that even though her father hadn’t always been present, he was still a solid figure, someone who would be there when she really needed him.

And that simple thought gave her the strength to believe that, no matter what, she and Daniel would find a way.