Chapter 23 - Hard Time

The afternoon continued quietly, with Daniel and Jeanne glued to each other, exchanging kisses and tender gestures. They seemed inseparable, savoring every stolen moment together.

A few hours before sunset, Daniel sat on the bed, preparing to head home. Jeanne emerged from the bathroom, walked up to him, and with a slow but firm gesture, gently pushed him, making him fall back onto the bed. She climbed on top of him, locking her gaze onto his. "Please, Daniel, stay here. I don’t want you to go home!"

Daniel quickly turned the situation around, pinning her beneath him, "Stop, you know exactly what that does to me when you act like this! I have to go; my parents will already kill me for not coming home last night."

Feigning sadness, Jeanne pushed him off and walked towards the door. "I knew it—you don’t really love me!"

Daniel burst into laughter, stood up, and grabbed her wrist, pulling her back toward him. "Stop saying nonsense, Jeanne. I've never loved anyone the way I love you." He kissed her deeply, then buried his face in her neck, inhaling her scent before saying with a chuckle, "I’ve never had such a hard time leaving a place."

He stood up and left the bedroom, heading to the living room where Jeanne's father awaited him. With a smile, Daniel extended his hand. "Thank you, sir, for letting me stay the night. It was a pleasure to meet you."

Jeanne's father rose and shook his hand warmly. "You’re a good kid, Daniel. I’m glad my daughter chose you."

Daniel smiled even more before stepping outside, followed by Jeanne.

At the door, Jeanne closed it behind them, embracing Daniel and looking at him tenderly. "It’s going to be hard seeing you tomorrow without being able to kiss you."

Daniel smiled, leaning down to kiss her. "We can work something out. I could always pull you into a quiet corner."

Jeanne laughed. "If someone else said that, it would be terrifying!"

Daniel laughed as well. "It drives me crazy. I want to kiss you, but I know I have to leave. You’re making me lose my mind, Jeanne."

Jeanne stood on her tiptoes and kissed him. "Then don’t think, just do what you feel like doing."

The kiss intensified, Daniel’s hands roaming Jeanne’s back, until they were abruptly interrupted. Daniel was slammed against the side of the house, a scream escaping Jeanne’s lips. Thomas, furious, threw a punch at Daniel’s face, causing blood to spill from his nose. Blinded by rage, Thomas hit him again while Jeanne, panicked, screamed for him to stop, trying to pull him away.

Daniel stood up and retaliated with a punch, pushing Thomas. At that moment, Jeanne’s father, alerted by the shouting, stormed outside, separating the two boys. His imposing figure silenced the chaos. "All three of you, inside, now!"

They obeyed, the atmosphere heavy with tension. Jeanne burst into tears, her cheeks streaked with tears. Her father took her hand, his stern gaze shifting between the boys. "What the hell is going on?"

Thomas, irritated, snapped back, "Mick, this idiot is playing with your daughter’s heart!"

Daniel clenched his fists, about to respond, but Mick silenced him with a gesture. "Sit down, Daniel! Thomas, cut the swearing in my house! Why do you think that?"

Thomas glared back, furious. "He’s got a bad reputation! Everyone knows he likes to mess around with girls!"

Meanwhile, Jeanne, still crying, left the room to fetch some towels. She returned, tossing one to Thomas to wipe the blood off his face, before approaching Daniel, gently caressing his face with a towel. Her tears flowed even more at the sight of him.