Chapter 16 - Fragments of Tenderness

The next morning, Jeanne and her friends woke up in a burst of laughter, tangled up with each other, surrounded by disheveled cushions and blankets. Their tired bodies had sought comfort in their closeness, and each had fallen asleep in improbable positions. They quickly sat up, realizing they were already several minutes late. In a flash, they dressed and rushed to school, their heads still foggy from the hazy memories of the night before.

Upon arriving, they knocked on the classroom door with guilty looks. The teacher, lenient this time, allowed them to enter after brief apologies. They took their seats, catching their breath after their hurried run. Still feeling the effects of the previous night's substances, they found it difficult to concentrate. Jeanne, more exhausted than the others, felt her eyelids growing heavier. She was starting to doze off when Thomas gently shook her to wake her up.

The morning dragged on, marked by fatigue and the relative silence of the class. During the break, they stretched out under the trees in the schoolyard. Jeanne quickly fell asleep on Mattheo's legs, worn out by the previous night. The bell eventually rang, pulling them all from their lethargy.

When history class came around, Jeanne realized with horror that she had forgotten her phone at home. Entering the room, she spotted Daniel and Ethan already seated, waiting for her, facing each other. Pretending not to show any preference, she instinctively sat next to Daniel. Without a word, she scooted her chair closer to his, her elbow discreetly brushing his. She fought against sleep, her eyes slowly closing. Despite her efforts, her eyelids grew heavier, and she finally succumbed, resting her head on her arms.

Daniel, smiling, watched her with amusement. He leaned slightly to shield her from the teacher, casting careful glances. But when he saw the teacher approaching their table, he gently placed his hand on Jeanne's thigh, shaking her softly to wake her. Jeanne opened her eyes sluggishly, confused. Daniel smiled and whispered in her ear, in a soft voice "Be careful, the teacher's coming."

Jeanne, still half-asleep, smiled faintly without immediately grasping the situation. Before the teacher reached their table, Daniel delicately moved a strand of hair from Jeanne's face, leaning closer "You're cute when you're drunk."

Jeanne, amused but still a bit lost, grabbed Daniel's hand and placed it on the table, looking at him with a small smile "I might be drunk, but don't take advantage of it too much!"

They exchanged a complicit smile. Jeanne tried to gather her thoughts as the teacher arrived at their table. The teacher inquired about their progress before walking away, satisfied. Ethan left for a moment to get some water, leaving Jeanne and Daniel alone.

"And my kiss? Daniel teased, with a mischievous grin."

Jeanne furrowed her brow, slightly confused."What kiss?"

Daniel burst into laughter and grabbed his phone. He handed it to her, amused "I figured you wouldn't remember."

Jeanne blushed as she read the message she had sent him the night before, under the influence of alcohol. She immediately buried her face in her arms, overwhelmed with embarrassment. Still amused, Daniel leaned closer to her, his voice laced with teasing "You know what they say... you're the most honest when you're drunk."

Jeanne, pushing him slightly, groaned "Stop it!"

She buried her face even deeper in her arms, blushing even more. Daniel, softened by her reaction, checked that no one was watching, then leaned in again. He gently grabbed her arm, pulling it just enough to reveal her cheek, and planted a tender kiss on it.

Jeanne lifted her head, looking him straight in the eyes, a sincere smile spreading across her lips. As a silent thank you, she rested her head back on her arms, this time facing him, her eyes tracing every detail of his face. At that moment, she realized just how much she was beginning to love him.

Ethan finally returned to the table, glancing at Jeanne, who was now fully awake, her gaze fixed on Daniel. Annoyed, he asked"Are you not going to help us today?"

Without taking her eyes off Daniel, Jeanne calmly replied "No, not today."

Daniel smiled in response, and Jeanne mirrored it, sharing a tender, knowing look. Sensing that his presence wasn't really needed, Ethan resigned himself to staying in the background.

Under the table, Daniel reached for Jeanne's hand. When he found it, he gently placed it on his thigh, softly caressing her palm. Jeanne, surprised at first, eventually let him continue, appreciating the tenderness of the gesture. A smile formed on her lips, a soft and discreet smile, warmed by Daniel's kindness.