Chapter 2 - The Man in My Dream

"This is it." I think. "The strange man who appeared in my dream was standing right in front of me. He's close enough for me to smell his perfume."

I tried to process what I was about to say to him.

"Excuse me, who are you?" I asked with a confused look.

"Okay, good, Rosa. You need to just ask this man one thing," I thought.

"Don't you remember me?" the strange man asked.

"Again, I heard this man ask the same question as in the dream."

I studied his face and tried to remember. Then I shook my head and said, "No, I'm sorry."

"Maybe this will remind you."

The man rolled up his sleeve and showed a dull bracelet with the initials RSR. I immediately realized that RSR was my full name, Rosaline Skylar Reeves. Suddenly I remembered my childhood, when I was in elementary school I was close friends with a boy. Because we were so close, we both bought a pair of bracelets with our initials on them. But one day he disappeared and I never saw him again. I still remember that a teacher at school said that he had transferred to another school, I also heard other people say that he moved to another province, and some even said that he was seriously ill and needed special treatment in another country. Honestly, I didn't know which one to believe, what was clear was that the boy left without saying goodbye.

Then I remembered the initials CBK on the bracelet in my jewelry box, and I asked him, "Oh my gosh, are you Calvin Blaze Kenneth?"

He smiled sweetly and said, "Yeah, I am."

"Wow, it's been a long time since I've seen you," I replied. "How are you?"

"I'm perfectly fine. How about you?"

"Same. I'm perfectly fine as well," I replied with a sweet smile.

Then he hugged me, and I hugged him carefully because I was holding a champagne glass in my right hand.

"I'm so glad to see you again, Rosa," he said while still hugging me.

I patted his shoulder and said, "Oh, I'm glad to see you too." Then I let go of his hug to look at him. "Wow! Look at you, you're tall and handsome now, and that beard looks good on you."

"Thank you," he replied. "You should see yourself too, you're so beautiful now."

"Oh stop, it's okay if you want to say I'm fat now," I replied, still smiling while holding back the pride that had just been hurt.

"Still, you look beautiful, and I like the way you look now, much better than the last time I saw you," he said while looking into my eyes. "You were so skinny back then, and I was afraid something bad would happen to you."

I was amazed to hear his words. All this time I knew that he cared about me, but I had never heard the reason why. This was the first time I heard it.

"Oh, thank you so much for that, Calvin. I appreciate it," I replied, then I took a sip of the champagne I was holding.

After a while, I asked, "By the way, what are you doing here? Do you know the couple who just got married?"

Calvin replied, "Yeah, I'm good friends with the groom, and I'm here because I was asked to be one of the groomsmen."

"Wait. If you're a groomsman, then you must have been in front of the altar at the ceremony," I said, pretending not to know, even though I already knew because I had been watching him from a distance.

"Yes, I was standing right next to the groom," he replied.

"Gosh, I noticed you earlier, but I didn't recognize you. I'm sorry."