A glimpse to the present past

In a remote and tranquil area, there lay a quaint little village, now reduced to ashes after being ravaged by strange and ferocious creatures. These monstrous beings slaughtered the innocent villagers without a trace of mercy, leaving nothing but destruction in their wake. Amidst the chaos, a mysterious man stood watching the horrifying scene unfold, trapped in his own helplessness, he simply lacked the power to combat such malevolent creatures.  As the creatures, resembling wolves yet moving with the eerie grace of humans, departed one by one, he patiently waited for them to flee.

Continuing his journey down a treacherous path, he encountered grotesque sights—the lifeless bodies of the villagers, their intestines spilled, faces unrecognizable due to their horrific fates. Each step weighed heavy on his heart until a piercing cry broke through the grim silence. Instinctively, he searched for the source and soon discovered a small cave not far from the smoldering ruins of the village. There, swaddled in delicate white cloth, lay a baby, cradled in the arms of a strikingly beautiful woman who had tragically succumbed to death.

Days later

As Blaze gazed upon the sleeping child, a wave of tenderness washed over him. He felt an overwhelming sense of compassion for this innocent soul.

“Blaze, how long will you nurse that baby? Are you considering adopting him? What’s his name?” Marco, his butler, inquired, a teasing lilt in his voice.

“Can you stop pretending you don’t know anything?” Blaze replied sharply, a serious expression settling on his face.

“I’m just kidding Blaze,” Marco said with a light chuckle.

“We know this was bound to happen anway,” Blaze said to which Marco nodded knowingly.

“I know.”

9 months later

As Blaze observed Alastair’s rapid growth—faster than most children—he felt a strange blend of nostalgia and wonder. It seemed like just yesterday that Alastair had needed assistance to walk, and now, after just nine months, he could already move about independently and run back and forth.

After 587 years of solitude, vivid nightmares of his tragic past haunted him: the deaths of his parents, his wife, and children, as well as his dear friends.

“Papa!” Alastair exclaimed, leaping into his arms. Blaze snapped out of his dark thoughts, a smile breaking through as Alastair’s innocent embrace filled him with warmth. It was as if years of sorrow had been momentarily lifted.

“Alastair, you need to eat now,” Blaze said gently, but the little boy shook his head defiantly.

“I want to play more,” Alastair insisted, his eyes sparkling with mischief.

“Alastair, don’t be so stubborn you haven’t eaten since earlier,” Blaze pressed, his tone firm yet caring.

Suddenly, Alastair dashed toward the terrace, startling Blaze. “Alastair! Noooo!” he shouted in alarm. Rushing to the edge, he peered down and was relieved to see that Alastair had landed safely, easing the anxiety that had gripped him moments before. Alastair giggled up at him, guilt etched across his cherubic face.

“You know, he’s done that several times while you’ve been away, and I’ve had to chase after him each time,” Marco remarked, approaching Blaze with a smirk.

“I just worry,” Blaze sighed, shaking his head.

“You don’t need to. Alastair isn’t a normal child,” Marco reassured, keeping an eye on Alastair as he busily collected leaves and stones.

“I know....Good thing we’re still far from the neighbors,” Blaze said.

“You know, I feel sorry for Alastair,” Marco mentioned as he sipped his wine. Blaze raised an eyebrow. “It’s just that he’s growing up without parents,” Marco continued.