7

The quietness of the early morning crept into the room, casting a soft light over Jeonghan's sleeping form. Seungcheol had barely moved all night, his vigil by Jeonghan's side uninterrupted, his hand resting protectively on the edge of the bed. His mind had gone in circles, thoughts tangled in a mess of gratitude and conflict.

The whole encounter, the way Jeonghan had clung to him with such desperation, the way he'd admitted he'd saved him because he simply wanted to—it left Seungcheol's heart at war with itself. For so long, he had kept the lines clear: vampires were creatures to hunt, to keep at a distance. Yet, here he was, holding vigil over the very creature he was meant to eliminate, feeling more responsible for him than he'd ever anticipated.

When Jeonghan's eyes fluttered open, confusion mixed with a hint of embarrassment as he caught Seungcheol's watchful gaze.

"Good morning," Seungcheol said, his voice softer than usual.

Jeonghan blinked sleepily, "Did you stay here all night?" he asked, a note of disbelief in his voice.

"Yeah. Just wanted to make sure you were... okay," Seungcheol replied, rubbing the back of his neck. "You seemed like you needed someone close."

Jeonghan sat up slowly, his gaze lingering on Seungcheol with a hint of vulnerability. "Thanks," he murmured, then added with a soft laugh, "I guess you're my knight in shining armor now."

Seungcheol scoffed, but his lips twitched with a reluctant smile. "Let's not get carried away."

They fell into a comfortable silence, but Seungcheol's question from the night before gnawed at him still, leaving an ache in his chest that he couldn't ignore. He leaned back, folding his arms, and let out a steadying breath.

"So," he began, the words falling slowly, heavily, "why do you really think I'm worth saving? I mean... you knew it could've killed you, right?"

Jeonghan's expression softened, and he looked down at his hands for a moment, considering. "I didn't think," his gaze landed on Seungcheol, "It's strange, though, isn't it? A vampire saving a hunter?"

"Maybe not so strange," Seungcheol replied softly. "Maybe it's the most human thing I've ever seen you do."

Jeonghan's lips curved into a faint, almost bashful smile. For a moment, it was like he was just Jeonghan, without the fangs, the hunger, the darkness—a person who, despite everything, had chosen to care.

But before either of them could fully absorb the moment, a knock sounded at the door. Both of them straightened, the intimacy shattered as Seokmin and Joshua stepped in, concern etched on their faces.

Seokmin's gaze darted between the two of them before he spoke. "We've done some more research on that enchantment," he said, glancing down at his notes. "It's... a lot more complex than we realized."

Seungcheol's eyes sharpened. "What do you mean?"

Joshua stepped forward, his expression grim. "It's not just a simple spell. It was designed to wear down a vampire's control, to amplify the craving to an almost unbearable level. The more you resist, the stronger the pull becomes." He looked at Jeonghan. "In other words, it's a ticking time bomb."

A wave of dread washed over Seungcheol as he looked at Jeonghan, who wore a faint, bitter smile. Jeonghan had wanted to taste hunter blood a couple of days ago. "Guess that explains a lot," he murmured, his voice wavering slightly.

"There has to be a cure," Seungcheol said, his voice laced with determination. "Whatever it takes, we're going to find it."

Seokmin hesitated, glancing at Joshua before speaking again. "We found some leads on a reversal, but... it's dangerous. The cure requires a lot of ingredients that's hard to obtain. It's best if both the hunters and the vampires work together"