Chapter 5

My head jerked to the white figure that stepped out of the brush. Excitement burst inside of me, it's Naomi! Naomi had a brown rabbit clutched in her jaws, her nostrils flared.

Namid called out, "Naomi has the first rabbit!"

The pack roared in excitement. Naomi dropped the rabbit then dashed back from where she came from. As Namid took up the rabbit, the people that I sat with continued in conversation, including Taby-Cat.

"Naomi's got a chance at this. I just hope it turns out for her," he says.

I huffed, "Of course she's going to win. We have to believe in her!"

My mother squeezed my arm and said, "She can do this."

I smiled. Then Namid yelled out, "Liam has his first rabbit!"

Soon, Mason followed and many others came after. When I noticed the last pack member came for his first rabbit, Liam came to drop his second. Naomi followed, but this time she was covered in mud and dead leaves. I wondered how bad it was to finding those rabbits.

Mean while, I sit uncomfortably. This secret about Alpha I'm holding has so much weight on my shoulders! I suck at lying or keeping secrets; one of the worst weaknesses about me. I nervously grip my right knee.

Taby-Cat turned to look down at me. I looked up into his green eyes, his hair was brushed upward and his lips were pursed. Then I saw it, that glint in his eye, the spark that he knows something. His eye-brows perked up a bit, as if in question, down to me. I looked away. He placed his hand on my left knee. I smile a bit; I'm glad he's still my best friend.

Namid yelled once again, but was cut off suddenly. Naomi crashed through the bush and skidded to a halt; picking up grass. But suddenly Naomi was mauled down by Liam. Both tumbled and rolled until both were on top of each other. Liam shied away while Naomi flung her rabbit to Namid and took off. People laughed at Liam while he turned to go after Naomi. Naomi really wanted to win.

"Oh man, the look on Liams' face! Poor guy, he probably likes her too!", Tommy, Alpha's beta, exclaims.

Taby-Cat griped my knee a little harder. Damn it, Tobuscus, you jealous fool.

I poked his hand with a finger. He looked down suddenly and took his hand away, sheepishly.

"Sorry, I didn't notice."

I shrugged.

My mom noticed this and asked, "So, whats up with you two lately?"

We both look up with confusion. Everyone looks up as well.

"Oh, you know! You two have been hanging out more often now, I was just wondering if there's something between you two I haven't noticed about yet?"

The both of us look at each other and realize exactly what she's talking about.

"Oh no! We aren't dating!" I reply, panicking.

Everyone laughed in our group. I couldn't believe what mom was thinking! I knew me and Taby-Cat were getting closer, but not close enough to love each other that way. I'd much rather be good friends with him. And besides, he loves Naomi. But for some reason, for one split moment, I think the possibilities. Taby-Cat is only 20, and me being 18 there's only a 2 year gap. Plus, Taby-Cat is pretty darn cute. I remember when he wore someones nerdy glasses, before he turned wolf. Naomi was there and she made fun of him; telling him he was a nerd. I remember thinking he looked cute. He always has the way of standing, always shoving his hands in pockets and smiling his perfect smile. I instantly shook that possibility away. Naomi needed him more.

Then the last interruption announced itself to the rest of the pack.

"Our first and second are coming in fast!" Alpha howls, skidding next to Namid, naked.

Everyone tenses to see who the victor is. I peered over moms shoulder, looking intently at the treeline. Taby-Cat especially. I could hear the snaps of twigs and branches. A howl echoed from the trees, making everyone straighten up.

"Come on Naomi, you can do it. Naomi, go through those bushes first," I whispered to myself.

The last I hear of the silent image of people looking intently at the treeline was the rustle of the bush.

Liams' brown wolf came out first.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------