2.3

Luke's POV

I didn't quite know what to say to her, no I hadn't known or even had an idea of where to start since we had arrived here at the motel three hours ago, so we've just lay in silence as Jamie slept peacefully.

As soon as we'd finished dying Rory's hair blonde, she asked me to cut it shorter than it was because it would make her appearance even more unrecognisable than it was. So I did, her hair had hung down to her waist before but now was lay atop her bra strap mark.

Then Rory cut mine, shorter and instead of my easily recognisable quiff I had more of a flat fringe. I loved it, maybe a change was what I needed.

We then left the gas station, piled into the car with a still sleeping Jamie in Rory's arms and I drove us to the first motel we passed. We wasn't planning on stopping there of course, it would be too obvious, we just wanted one of the pamphlets from the reception that inform you of all the local motels.

That's how we ended up here -that wasn't intended omg- in a small motel on the edge of the city, it was cheap and unpopular. Not somewhere you'd expect a couple to stay with a young child. When we arrived we asked the receptionist for a simple room that we could pay for with cash, the last thing we needed was our card details on the system, and she gave us one on the second floor.

The room was small with only a desk with a lamp, a double bed and a wardrobe which we wouldn't even use, we wouldn't be unpacking just because it would be easier to make a quick getaway.

But here we were, laying down side by side at the bottom of the bed, because Jamie was sleeping at the top, in complete silence. I didn't know what to say to start the conversation, after all this was the first time we were truly alone and not pretending for the sake of others.

I opened my mouth to say something to her but she beat me to it, "Luke I-I'm sorry,"

I sighed knowingly, I knew she would apologise, that was Rory through and through, "Don't apologise Ro,"

Truth is, seven months ago if we were in a different situation completely and she didn't return from her travels, I would of been worried. And I was, I went out of my mind with worry because come on? My girlfriend didn't come home, she didn't come through the gates when the flight she should of caught landed, she didn't answer her phone or respond to any of the texts we sent her.

If we were in a different situation a month ago when she returned and she hadn't have had a reason for her disappearance I'd have been angry, I'd have gone nuts at her for basically leaving me to go through hell.

But she had a reason and it wasn't one of then pathetic reasons like you see in the movies either. It wasn't lame or complete bullshit.

It was genuine and quite frankly I'd say it was a life or death one too. So I need her to believe me when I say it's okay because I understand, I didn't at first, but as soon as I got her reasoning, I did.

"No I need too, I really do. I feel like the worst person to walk the earth for just leaving you behind, I left you waiting and didn't give you an explanation," she exhaled turning on her side to face me, using her hand to prop herself up.

"No listen to me Ro, i understand ok? You were doing it to protect Jamie, I get that now,"

"But I could've at least have tried to tell you, I wanted to tell you, it broke my heart not being too," she glanced down biting her lip anxiously.

"That would've only risked them finding Jamie though bubs and you know it,"

"I know but still-"

"But nothing babe, you were looking out for Jamie, for Michael too and if it were me, I'd have done the same,"

"Even if it were to hurt someone you love?" She met my gaze again teary eyed.

"Even then," I nodded wiping under her eyes.

"I'm sorry for being away for so long and hurting you,"

"It's okay I understand, I mean it hurt for so long but deep down, I knew there was a reason you didn't come back home to me,"

"Still I hurt you and I don't think I'll ever forgive myself," she sniffled quietly hanging her head down.

I cupped her chin in my hands and forced her to meet my gaze, "Hey don't cry please baby. You're here with me now and that's all I ever need,"

She nodded slightly her eyes watery, "I just need to know you can forgive me,"

"I forgave you as soon as I heard you were home baby and I knew why you stayed away," I smiled pulling her to my chest.

"You did?" She sniffled clinging on to me like it was her last chance.

"Yeah," I chuckled quietly, "And now I can't bear the thought of ever having to loose you again,"

"Me neither," she whispered.

*