An Old Friend

"I'll see you tomorrow." he smiles. His black locks of hair swing like vines as he hugs a slim blonde. Pale skin with a sweet voice.

"Bye, Reese." she says smiling. The luscious friend walks away as Reese enters his same old car; the same one from high school. Her heels smack on the concrete as she steps away from the sidewalk and towards the big building in front of her. She pulls her phablet from her big purse, brightening the screen. She pushes open the glass door, stepping inside the dark building.

"Thank you for the dinner." she types.

"No problem. Have a good night, Heather." responds Reese. She smiles and pushes a button on the elevator in front of her. It dings, sliding the metal doors open. She steps inside and presses another button, closing the doors once again.

"Goodnight. I love you." she types again.

"I love you too."

She smiles again, stepping out of the elevator on to her floor. Her apartment complex is quite spacious, each room having a second floor. Almost like a condo. Five zero three. That's her apartment's number. She unlocks the door with a small key and steps inside.

Everything is dark in her apartment. A mellow blue acts as the white moonlight upon the white couch. She snaps the lights on, revealing an extremely luxurious studio: a giant gazing glass with a view of the city, a stairwell that leads to a small balcony where her bed lies, and green exotic plants at every corner. Pulling down the zippers on her shoes, she slips the heels off and flings them on the couch as she makes her way to the kitchen. Opening the fridge, she pulls a can of Sprite. It pops open as she sips from it as she walks back to the living quarters.

-

Reese sits in his car, parked right in front of his building. Scrolling through his Facebook, he looks at images of his high school life. He taps on John's profile, reading his old statuses. Pictures of Julie and Angela Vasquez flash as he continues to scroll through the profile.

"Happy 1 year babe" reads a status. Reese rolls his eyes as he notices he liked it. The comments section is full of them, each one by Julie and Lena Woods.

"College is basically highschool full of older people" reads his status. Reese smirks. "True." he laughs.

"Feeling a little lost.." reads another. Reese sighs as he scrolls passed this old status. April fourth, seven o'clock PM. That's the day he cheated on Julie with Angela. They met at her house while her parents were out, like they usually are. No wonder she got picked off so easily..

-

Heather grabs her tablet, tapping the Facebook app. "Let's see what you're up too." she says as she logs out of her account. She taps on the list of E-mail addresses saved on her tablet and selects reesepaininducer98@yahoo.com.
She taps on the bright screen, looking around Reese's profile. Suddenly, a notification pops out of the message icon. "Mmm, let's see who messaged you." she says as she taps on the message.

"Hello" it reads. Heather looks at the sender and raises her eyebrow.

"Who's John?" she says.

-

Reese looks down at his phone and notices the notification. He opens it and reads the message. Chills run down his spine as he stares at the sender. John? He begins to type.

"Who are you?" he types.

"Who are you?" she types.

"I could be anyone"

Reese shakes his head and rubs his eye. Meanwhile, Heather scratches her head and begins to type again.

"What do you mean?" they simultaneously type.

John reads the message. He begins to type again..

"I could be that person knocking on your door."

They both look up as they read this.

Clunk. Clunk. goes Reese's car. Startled, he looks up from his phone and looks through the windshield, peering at darkness and ugly yellow lights that surround the building.

-

Knock knock. goes Heather's front door. She looks up at the door, her mouth open in confusion. Heather slowly puts her feet on the wooden floor and begins to rise from the couch. She holds the phone to her face and begins to type.

-

"Youre really freaking me out okay stop" they both type. The message is read again by the sender. Two thick checks are under the message. No response.

Reese looks around the darkness and sees nothing but more cars parked around him. His heart begins to race at a quick rate. Hands fidget around as he continues to stare at the two checks under the message.

-

Heather creeps to the door as shivers eat at her. Knock knock it goes again. She stops, looking back down at the phone. The message still hasn't been replied too..
-
"You hacked into a dead man's account and you could get in serious trouble. you'd better stop" types Reese. The message is read once more. Everything is still silent.

-

Heather reaches for the door knob, her heart racing as her fingers touch the cold metal.

-

Looking through his rearview mirror, a dark figure emerges from the black and under the yellow lights of the parking lot. Reese widens his eyes as he watches the figure come closer and closer to his vehicle. To him. It gets closer and closer and closer like an asteroid of fear falling through the heavens, and Reese is the earth below. He continues to stare as the shadow figure pauses in its steps, peeking around his car. Reese pulls a small switch blade from his pocket as he watches the figure as it watches him. A heavy pressure on his chest makes his breathing a bit harder. Fear? Or courage?

-

Her thin fingers finally obtain a full grip on the knob. She turns it slowly, causing the door to slowly creak open as she pulls it back. White leaks through the small crack. Heather's chest feels an uneasy force pounding on her heart. She gulps a bit of courage and opens the door wide open.