Chapter Seven

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Back from vacation so an update today and one tomorrow too. Thanks for all the love! Comment, vote, follow, message! <3 It makes my day!

__________

CHAPTER SEVEN

"I'D NEVER FELT LIKE ANYBODY HAD EVER LOOKED AT ME THAT CLOSELY BEFORE, LIKE THEY WERE SEEING MORE THAN WHAT WAS JUST ON THE SURFACE"

SONG TO LISTEN TO: RENEGADES BY X AMBASSADORS

Closing time for the park was always a surreal feeling, not matter how many times I experienced it. It felt like a ghost town once all the guests had trailed through the entrance, carrying sleeping children in their arms and trudging their feet back to the resort's hotel. Then the music went off, leaving us in a silence that always felt incredibly loud after the shouts and yells of excited guests had faded. I looked out at the empty midway from behind the bar, refilling the empty containers with tiny drink straws and white beverage napkins. We were usually the last place open, customers and other park employees often stopping in for one last drink before calling it a night.

"Hey, I just have to finish wiping down the tables. You almost done in here?" I glanced over my shoulder to see the one other closing employee, Emma, peeking her head from around the corner of the main dining room.

I nodded, letting out a sigh. "Yeah, just gotta finish restocking these real quick and then lock up the patio."

She looked like she had more to say but suddenly stopped, staring quizzically towards the patio door. I turned back around and my eyebrows shot up in surprise when I saw Owen Grady leaning against the doorframe, a six-pack of beer in one hand although I had no idea where he might have gotten it. I would've thought I would be used to him randomly showing up by now, but no.

He smiled at me from across the room and my pulse jumped. "You almost done yet?"

I could feel Emma's gaze flickering between the two of us, no doubt curious as hell. Well she could join the club on that one. "Yeah, just a few more minutes."

"Come out here when you're done. Something I wanna show you." Even from here I could see that mischievous glint in his eyes, but before I could ask what the hell he was talking about, he'd turned his back and disappeared. A habit of his I was slowly getting used to.

"What was that about?" Emma asked, the second he was gone.

I shook my head, turning around to look at her with a mystified expression. "I seriously wish I knew." Curiosity prickled over me like a static current, intermixed with a nervousness that was making my stomach flip flop like an olympic gymnast. My mind jumped back to the conversation we'd had a few nights ago, where he mentioned something about the park having things I'd never even seen yet.

"Well if you wanna go and see whatever he has to show you, I can finish up in here." She offered, shrugging her shoulders. "I've locked up plenty of times before."

I hesitated, chewing anxiously on my lower lip as I looked from her to the patio where Owen was waiting somewhere. "Are you sure?" I asked.

She laughed. "Yeah, it's fine. Go have fun. Fill me in with the details later." She gave me a knowing grin and I rolled my eyes, turning my back to her before she could see the red hue in my cheeks.

I rummaged around underneath the bar before grabbing my jacket. "I seriously doubt it's going to be an exciting story."

"I dunno...kinda sounds like the beginning of a romance novel. 'When gorgeous, mysterious raptor trainer Owen Grady showed up at Rylan's work one night, claiming he had something to show her, she never imagined it would change her life.' Best seller." Emma joked, before bursting into laughter.