Chapter Twenty

A/N:

MY PEOPLE! You guys are amazing...While I'm Alive is slowly but surely climbing to the top of the Owen Grady list and I have all of you to thank for that. Thank you for all the votes, comments, messages, and support. Know I am forever grateful.

Also...I am going to shamelessly plug my original story here. If you haven't read Chasing Shadows yet, please give it a chance! It's entered in Wattpad's 'So You Can Think You Can Write' contest so the more views, votes, and feedback I get, the better my chances!

Once again, you guys are amazing. Thank you.

xo

Nikki

CHAPTER TWENTY

"HIS LIPS TWITCHED BEFORE HE WAS PULLING ME TOWARDS HIM, PRESSING HIS MOUTH HARD AGAINST MINE. IT WAS QUICK AND TO THE POINT, BOTH OF US AWARE WE DIDN'T HAVE MUCH TIME."

SONG TO LISTEN TO: WHEREVER YOU GO BY RON POPE

Owen had gone from angry to raging pissed off during the short drive to the raptor containment unit. His grip on the steering wheel was turning his knuckles white, and his eyes that normally glinted with laughter and mischievousness were dark, stormy, and filled with the desire to tear Hoskins into pieces. I bit my lips to keep from saying anything, knowing full well that there wasn't much I could do or say to remedy the situation. It was much too out of control by now, full scale on a level that was over my head.

The octagon paddock came into view, surrounded by sleek armored vehicles and men in black uniforms all bearing the same Ingen logo. It looked like they were preparing to go to war. Owen was out of the car the second the engine died. I went after him, stumbling out of the passenger seat and jogging to catch up with him. Claire and the boys followed.

A man with broad shoulders and a familiar graying head of hair stood facing the paddock, hands on his hips. He turned at the sound of our footsteps and we were met with Hoskin's smug face. "Well, well, well! Look who finally decided-"

Owen's fist suddenly slammed into Hoskins, hitting him squarely on the jaw. I let out a gasp of surprise, my mouth falling open. Zach and Gray let out matching whoops, as Claire cringed at my side.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" Owen demanded. He looked like he wanted to take another swing at him.

Hoskins staggered upright, clutching at his jaw. Blood pooled at the corner of his mouth. "I'm doing what should be done! What you refuse to do!"

"Owen!" Barry's voice called out across the lot. I combed the area for him, finally seeing him quickly climbing down the catwalk's steps to reach us. "Did he tell you? He wants to let them loose! Actually believes this is a good idea!" He sneered, giving Hoskins a dirty look as he came to stand next to Owen. He eyed Hoskin's swelling lip, his own mouth twitching in a pleased smirk, putting together what had happened.

"They've never been out before! There's no telling what could happen! It could be a bloodbath, Hoskins!" Owen argued.

"Or it could save lives! How many people have already been injured today? How many have lost their lives because you couldn't take control of the situation!" Hoskins spat, looking venomously between Owen and Claire. She stuck out her chin defiantly, but I saw the guilt pooling in her eyes. I reached down and grabbed her hand, giving it a reassuring squeeze. "Tomorrow morning, when this story gets out and is broadcasted world wide, do you want to be the heroes who did whatever it took to save lives, or the people who did nothing?" He turned towards Owen, getting directly in his face, his voice a toxic whisper. "This is happening. With or without you." Then he stalked off, wiping the blood off his chin with the back of his hand.