Bad Traffic

As I got myself ready for work, I found it rather difficult to suppress my excitement. After all, today is the rehearsal dinner and it will be absolutely perfect.  Brushing my long blond hair back into a ponytail I catch a glimpse of Cort, my lovely soon-to-be hubby, staring at me with a hungry gaze.  "Cort, amazing idea hunny but I don't wanna be late for work. Just wait 'til later okay?" He looks at me with a slight pout then the grin I've come to love so much spread across his perfectly sculpted face as he walks up behind me. "So what if you're late?" he says not even trying to hide the lust in his husky voice. "Wouldn't you much rather stay here with me all day long?" The tone of his voice sent a chill down the center of my back. Looking up at him in the mirror's reflection, his shoulder length blond hair fell loosely around his face allowing his piercing green eyes to capture me in their depths. You would think after 5 years of being together i'd have gotten used  to it, but they never fail to mesmerize me. Not only was this man absolutely gorgeous, he also had an addictiveness to him that i could never get enough of.  From my sitting position before my makeup mirror, i could feel the hardness of him against my back. Oh how i wish i didn't have to go in for work today. He stood there at my back in all his glory wearing only the boxer shorts he had slept in. The muscles on his chest and shoulders danced as he placed his hand on my shoulders, sliding them up my neck to my jaw gently tilting my head up. He looked down into my eyes and lowered his head placing a kiss to my forehead, nose, and finally my lips. A hot passionate kiss that made my core throb with a need only he could satisfy, then all too soon he pulled away smiling with satisfaction. I let out a growl and glared up at him.  "I know what you're trying to do Cort and it will not work." "Okay okay," he said backing away with his hands held up in front of him, the smirk still on his face," have fun at work darling." and disappeared into the bathroom.  Shaking my head at him I look back at my reflection. So plain. The fact that I've acquired such an amazing man has been and forever will be a mystery to me. Finished with my hair, not even bothering with makeup this morning, I check my watch. 7:35. Crap, I'm late. "Thanks alot Cort, you made me late." I yell to him as I pass by the bathroom door on my way to the door grabbing my gym bag, cell, and keys on the way. Working as a fitness instructor at the gym has it's major perks. Showing up in a cami, yoga pants,and tennis shoes every single day to work is just plain awesome, no need for high heels and a pant suit.  After making my way over to my 1969 all black camaro, I fling my bag onto the passenger seat placing my cell on top of it and start the engine loving the sound of it roaring to life. Pulling out of the driveway i look back at the house and see Cort in the door waving bye with a huge grin on his face and mouthed an 'i love you' bringing a smile to my face. Just gorgeous.  It's usually a 20 minute drive to the gym but today just isn't one of those days. The traffic is horrible. Honking horns and angry shouts from other cars is enough to make a person go crazy in the middle of this chaos.  "Great, just great," I muttered to myself truly frustrated. I can just hear Martia, the owner of the gym, now. I let out a heavy sigh and continued to look straight ahead at the little red Porsche in front of me. Since it looks like I'll be here for a while I may as well call her and let her know I'll be late for my first class. I grabbed my cell and dialed her number placing it to my ear. After three rings, she finally picks up,"Hello?"  "Hey Martia, it's Lilly. There's this major traffic jam up here and I'm afraid I'm gonna be a little late." Biting my lip, I wait for her reply. After a loud sign she says,"Okay, I'll keep them busy until you get here." Unable to contain my smile,"Thanks a million Martia!" "Yea yea yea. Just don't make a habit out of it." and she disconnected the call. I let out a sigh of relief  and tossed my cell back on my gym bag. The traffic finally started moving and as soon as I turned off the main highway and reached the stop sign, a weird tingly feeling invades my fingertips and toes. Huh, that's weird. I look down at my hands on the steering wheel but there's nothing that looks out of sorts.  Just a small town girl Livin' in a lonely world  She took a midnight train goin' anywhere Just a city boy Born and raised in south Detroit.. I jumped in my seat at the abrupt ringing of my cell and quickly reach over and grab it. Damn you Cort for changing my ring tone AGAIN. I look at the caller ID and of course, it's him. Lucky for me, I'm the only one at this stop sign. Hitting the answer button, "Cort, must you change my ring tone daily?" His chuckle on the other end was enough to bring a smile to my face and banish and frustrations I had this morning.  "Yes, yes I really must my love, but that's not why I called."  "Well, please share." I say with a smile.  "You left in such a hurry this morning that I forgot to tell you that your mother called about the flower arrangements." "What about them?" I ask. "There are some minor complications. The florist says they won"t be ready until 4:30." "They were supposed to have been ready! The rehearsal starts at 5:00." my previous frustrations resurfacing instantly.  "Don't get worked up Lill, everything's still going to go perfectly tonight. Everything will be set up by time the guests start arriving."  "I really do hope you're right, I'd hate to have to..."  A loud shrieking from behind me tore me out of my conversation, and before I managed to turn in my seat, a black SUV ran straight into the back of my car lurching it forward into the middle of the street. My phone flew out of my hand and my head smashed against the steering wheel. A thick warm liquid ran down the side of my head and everything around me seemed so distant. Somewhere in the background I could hear shouting, calling, but I couldn't respond. I could feel the tingling in my fingers and toes flare and heighten.  More shrieking and honking filled my ears then my car was thrown to the side as if something hit the passenger side causing me to hit my head hard against the door frame. A sickening crack of bones turned my stomach along with the smell of blood. A lot of it. The world spun around me making it hard to keep my eyes open. Something in the pit of my stomach told me not to close them, but a voice, a sweet voice from somewhere whispered," Just let go."  And i did. As soon as I closed my eyes there was nothing but black. No sound, no light, no blood. I let my life go.