It's Pronounced Octopuses

*Jamie's PoV*

I had been staying out here for a couple of days now. I made friends with this one guy who works at 7/11 to get food and I used the jungle gym as shelter at night. I woke up and as I sat up I hit my head on the plastic jungle gym above me. I have managed to do that every single day I've been sleeping here which, not to brag or anything, takes some skills. I slipped out from under there just to find a little kid staring at me. She just kept looking at me so I stuck out my tongue and went cross-eyed. She started to giggle and laugh. She tried to copy my face. I kept changing my face from having an under bite to having a scrunched up face. The girl just kept laughing and trying to copy my face until finally her mom wandered over.

"Kassenya? What are you laughing at?" she asked until she came over and saw me. She glared. "Get away from my child!" she yelled, totally startling me.

"Holy Bon Jovi..." I muttered as I backed away and left her alone.

I looked back and stuck my tongue out at the girl. As she repeated the gesture, I just smiled and boarded away to 7/11.

"Hey Alex," I said as I walked in, leaving my board and my backpack by the door.

"Psh you don't need to leave your stuff there, we only make the delinquent teens of this town do that," he said.

"Sweet," I said grabbing my stuff and heading over to his spot at the counter.

Alex was a tall skinny guy with black hair cut in the most hipster of all hipster ways; short on the sides and long on top. He was the first person in this town to actually trust me. I didn't have any money so he's been helping me out and giving me some of the leftover food they have at closing that will go bad by the next day.

"I get on break in a few minutes if you wanna join me," he said.

"Totally, what are you gonna do?" I asked.

"Why don't you grab some donuts and I'll sneak us some coffee. We can go sit outside at the round tables," he said.

I smiled. "Sounds perfect."

He headed over to get us some coffee and I grabbed a bag of mini chocolate donuts.

We heard the bell ring and some dudes walked in. Alex returned to the counter, putting the coffee down on a shelf so they couldn't see it. I just pretended to walk around and look at more foods. This was killing me, god damn I'm hungry.

Suddenly, I felt something weird. I turned around to find one of those jerks slapping my ass.

"What the hell?!" I yelled at him.

His friends just burst out laughing. The guy smirked. "There's more where that came from."

"Johnny Christ, you guys look like you're 11 and act like you're a 60 year old perv," I said.

He looked pissed and went in to slap me when a hand grabbed his wrist. Alex had stopped him.

"I'm going to need to ask you guys to leave," Alex said.

They scoffed.

He tightened his grip on the guy's wrist till he started to yelp like a baby.

"Guy's lets go," he squeaked, pulling his wrist away and grabbing his backpack. They all trailed out the door after him.

"And that's why we have to make kids leave their backpacks at the door," Alex grumbled.

I just smiled at him. "Thanks for helping me out there," I said.

His scowl turned into a bit of a smile. "Are you okay?" he asked.

"I'm fine," I said. "Now come on it's break time." I grabbed the donuts and the coffees.