close your eyes

I'll keep you safe, as safe as I can
When all the elements around us
Have other plans
I pray we don't break in unsteady hands

Light looked over at L. L's eyes were shut, and his body shook. Light looked at L with concern. He knew that L was unwell. L was dying. Or well...L was going to die.

I swear if you call I will come
So quick, I am at your command
As long as I live
As long as I'm breathing
You will be safe
As long as we're dreaming

Light hopes L was happy. He hoped that L was having good dreams. L was snuggled up against Light, his breathing softly, sighing with content ever few minutes. Light's amber eyes were sad. But he had to do this, right?

Just close your eyes
Everything's gonna be just fine
You can peek on the other side

L was smiling in his sleep. Light ran a hand through the older's black hair. Light was silent, just feeling the surprisingly smooth texture of L's hair. He knew it may be the last time he would ever touch L, and see L. 

Just close your eyes
Everything's gonna be just fine
You can peek on the other side

L murmured softly, "Light?" And he was awake. He looked up at Light with a tiny grin. "Is it morning?" he asked, his voice soft and raspy. Light shook his head, "It's four AM, Ryuzaki." 

Say you'll keep still
As still as can be
Don't get caught in the chaos surrounding us
Trust that we're coming out clean
'Cause I'm on your side
It's still you and me

L simply smiled. But his eyes were sad. His head was against Light's chest. He listened to the fast heartbeat of the teen, his eyes closing yet again. He softly pressed is lips to Light's shirt and whispered, "I'm going to miss you."

When everything's falling to pieces
And nothing is quite as it seems
We will be safe
As long as we're dreaming

"What do you mean?" Light's voice was quiet, he knew. "We're going to part ways soon." L murmured. 

Just close your eyes
Everything's gonna be just fine
You can peek on the other side

Later that day, L was quiet. He sat in front of his computer, staring. And then the lights were red, and he was on the floor. This was it.

Just close your eyes
Everything's gonna be just fine
You can peek on the other side

Light held L in his arms. For a fragment of a moment, L could swear he saw pure longing and devastation in Light's cold eyes. 

We'll make it through this
I know that we will
You've got to be quick now
We're chasing up hill

Light. He was the last thing L ever saw. L's silvery eyes looked at Light. The only thing he could think was: You killed me, but I love you.

I've got your hand tight in mine
Keep strong this time

Light was yelling. L was gone. Light had never intended for himself to get this emotional about it. But L was dead. L was dead. For a few moments, he was celebrating, then his heart was struck with sadness. He'd loved L. But now L was gone. And he could never come back.

Just close your eyes
Everything's gonna be just fine
You can peek on the other side

The last thing L remembered was the sadness in Light's eyes.

The only thing Light could think of was how, just days before, he and L had said "I love you." 

Just close your eyes
Everything's gonna be just fine
You can peek on the other side