02.

Edward. 💡

Excitement was an understatement to how I felt, I was beyond excited. After the gift I left her, there was no way she could say no. It had to have won her over.

But what if she didn't show up? No, she had to show up. I had gotten her her favorite things, there was no way she could decline my invitation.

I was already seated at the table and the waiter kept eyeing me nervously. Personally, I didn't mind. I was used to getting those looks from the average citizens.

But with Vanessa it was different, she didn't look at me as some sort of criminal that night, she treated me like a human. A human of superior intelligence, which I was thankful for.

Glancing at my clock, it was only 6:58 pm. I didn't want to assume that she'd rudely leave me hanging, so I gave her the benefit of the doubt.

But when the waiter came up to me at 7:01 asking if he could take my order, I almost lost my patience and I could see the fear in his eyes. If I was Crane, this would've been an enjoyable moment but for me, I was growing angrier and angrier by the second.

It was only when I saw a flash of black and her long brown hair that those feelings quickly subsided. "Vanessa." I softly said, awe-ing at how beautiful she looked in the dress.

Her cheeks were flushed and she smoothed down the parts of her hair that were sticking up. "Sorry, there was traffic." I stood from my seat to be able to pull hers out.

Even though my eyes were only on her, I could still feel the eyes of the rest of the people on us. Probably trying to wonder who would willingly come on a date with a criminal. But their irrelevant thoughts weren't of my concern at the moment.

"So," once we were both seated, the waiter timidly took our order and left some drinks on the table, "What did you think of the gift?"

I was curious to see if I'd actually gotten things she liked, I was 99% sure I had. But extra reassurance doesn't hurt anyone.

"It was actually really sweet and thoughtful." She told me as she took a sip from her glass. "And that was the first time I heard that riddle, it certainly made me think for a few seconds."

"I thought you'd like that riddle and the twist that came with it." I could see that see was nervous, definitely not acting like last night. "Is there something wrong, Vanessa?"

"Actually, yes." She looked around the restaurant, causing those staring to quickly look away. "But I'd like to talk about it somewhere more private."

"Of course." I stood up and took her hand to help her off her seat. "Where to? Your place or mine?" I tried asking in a non suggestive way, not wanting to give her a bad impression.

"Yours, if that's okay." She nervously smiled and laced her fingers through mine as we walked out the restaurant. "Why are they staring at us?" I heard her whisper.

"Don't worry about them. People tend to stare when they see someone as beautiful as you." I knew that I was lying on the reason why, but the last part wasn't a lie. She was incredibly beautiful.

The drive to my place was surprisingly quiet, she seemed really talkative the night before. But I guess she had a lot on her mind, since she wanted to go somewhere private.

When we got to my hideout, there was unwelcome company outside. "I guess I have to find another place." I sighed, when I realized now they knew where I was. "Wait here." I told Vanessa before exiting the car.

"Okay." She nervously answered and took out her phone to play some mindless game.

"To what do I owe this great pleasure to?" I smugly smiled as I saw the angry looks on their faces. I can't remember doing anything to them, but I'm sure if I did it was probably great. 

"Who's the girl?" Scarecrow asked.

"That," I pointed towards were Vanessa was, "is Vanessa." I couldn't help but smirk at the fact that I proved them wrong. I could get a woman.

"Is she your girlfriend?" Harvey asked, clearly in disbelief. "She's hot."

"Is that why you two are here?" I angrily asked because of his comment. Who did he think he was looking at my Vanessa?

"Actually, as interesting as it is to see you with a woman, no." Scarecrow took of his mask. "Joker has a plan, a big one apparently." He rolled his eyes and I understood why.

Joker was always saying he had big plans, and sure they probably were, but they usually failed.

"Where do I play a role in this?" I asked, raising an eyebrow in confusion. 

"We don't know yet," Crane shrugged. "He said he'll let us know our roles in a few days. Joker just wanted us to spread his word."

"Thank you." They both left in their respective vehicles, and I waited until I was sure they were gone to go back to Vanessa.

"After you." I told her as I held the car door open for her. She jumped at the sound of my voice and got out.

"We need to talk." I could sense some anger in her voice as her eyes looked around for Crane and Dent.

"They're gone." I reassured her.

"Good." She sighed and tried to open the front door only to have access denied. "What-"

"It only opens to my hand." I explained as I opened the door and let us both in.

Her anger was quickly replaced with curiosity when she saw that happen. "That's actually pretty cool."

"Thank you," I closed the door behind us, making sure to look it. "So, what is the burning topic you want to talk about?"