05.

Vanessa. 💡

"You miss him?" My best friend's, Jhene, voice sucked me out of my thoughts of Edward. For a second, I felt as if she read my thoughts but when she said Josh's name I knew that wasn't the case.

"Not really." I stabbed my fork into my green filled salad. We were at some new restaurant in Gotham that just opened, it was supposedly really healthy and amazing. In my opinion, it was alright.

"He's kind of an asshole." Her nose wrinkled in disgust at the though of Josh, as she took a sip from her smoothie. "I ran into him yesterday at the store," she put down her cup and I watched as her pink smoothie swished around. "So I asked him if you were busy today, and he got angry at me and said 'how should I know?'"

A laugh escaped my lips at her impression of Josh's voice. Only she could unknowingly make me feel better in such a confusion state in my life.

"He is an asshole." I confirmed as I pushed away my almost empty plate and grabbed my bottle of water. "I was thinking of breaking up with him."

Her face lit up at the idea. "Please." We paid for the bill and left a few dollars as tip on our table. "I've missed hanging out with you." She wrapped her arms around me and gave me a quick hug as we parted ways in the parking lot. "Tell me how it goes!"

Just as I was making my way over to my car, a familiar figure caught my eye. I tried biting the inside of my cheek to keep a huge smile from appearing on my lips.

"Just couldn't stay away, could you?" I know I should have taken a more serious approach, but after my conversation with Jhene, I knew who I wanted to be with.

"You're right." He nodded, a small smirk placed on his lips. I noticed he had something hidden behind his back but before I could try to see, he showed me.

It was a bouquet of purple tulips; my favorite. "How'd you know-" I started, about to question how he knew my favorites but he interrupted.

"You told me the first night we met." His hand reached out towards my car door, and he opened it for me. "Did you know that purple tulips symbolize royalty?" He asked once he got inside and in the passenger seat. 

"I actually didn't." I put the keys in the ignition and started up my car. Pulling down my pink sundress to get more comfortable, I started driving out of the parking lot. "So are we just going to forget that that night ever happened?" I laughed at how comfortable we were acting, after that night.

"That's actually why I'm here." He cleared his throat, almost as if to add a dramatic effect. "I realized what the issue was with you being with me, well besides the whole 'criminal' thing." He added air quotes around the word criminal.

"So what was the real issue?" I asked, as I started heading towards the familiar rode to the grocery store.

"Your boyfriend." I nodded at his response, he was right. That was the real issue at hand. "So I took care of it."

When those words left his mouth, I almost hit the breaks of my car in shock. "You didn't." I said, hoping that he didn't do what I warned him not to that night.

"There was no murder involved." Thank god. "But there was a large amount of threats and headaches. Mostly from me, considering that he's extremely terrible at riddles."

I giggled at his comment. Josh always hated riddles, especially when I'd bring them up during lunch. "So, he's out of the picture?" I asked, thankful that he did my job for me.

"Yes." I watched him from the corner of my eye as he had a smile planted on his face. How cute. "Now, we can have a fresh start."

Pulling up to the grocery store parking lot, he finally realized where we were. "That's good." I told him as I got out of my car.

He did the same and we both stood there. "Grocery shopping?"

"I thought you'd be able to help me," I shrugged as I took out the list I had on my phone. "I have a lot to buy."

"Of course I'll help you." He said, a bit excitedly as he walked over to me. I was just hoping no one would recognize him, so a scene wouldn't arise.