[Chapter 13]

Chapter 13

            Kimi and Annie give me nervous looks. Kimi is the first to break the silence.

“Why haven’t you told us about this when she started it?”

I sigh lowering my gaze, “I didn’t want to take the chance that it was someone that would hurt my friends and family. So, I didn't tell anyone. I couldn’t tell my mom anyway because they were photos of Robert and me. I just didn’t want anyone getting hurt or killed because I’ve already lost too many people because of her as it is.”

I hear someone moving around toward me. Arms wrap around my body, “Next time, please, tell us about something like this, Laura,” says Annie as she pulls me closer into her arms.

I sniff feeling tears fill my eyes, “I’m so sorry you guys. I just worry about my friends. We’ve already lost Alex and Blake. I can’t handle it if something happens to one of you guys. I don’t think I could cope very well with that.”

Annie sighs nodding her head as I raise my head toward her gaze. I feel Kimi moving closer to me smiling sadly at me, “You only broke up with Robert because of Sarah?”

I sigh lowering my gaze shrugging, “At that time that was the real reason. Not to mention, if I didn’t he would have never made the choice. I couldn’t keep being his closet girl anymore. We were in my bed in the apartment when I broke it off. The worst thing is that I believe he loves me too but he refuses to keep me and tell my mom off because he doesn’t want me in the spotlight.”

Kimi nods while Annie shrugs, “He has a point. You and Kimi have said that the spotlight changed both your mother and your sister. Maybe he’s afraid you’ll change just as they changed. It’s something about the spotlight that brings out either the best in someone or the absolute worst.”

I bite my lips understanding her logic while Kimi hums in agreement, “Not to mention, you would be considered a home wrecker. You would break up Robert and Molly and maybe some of their haters will love you but people that like them will really hate you. Most people just want Robert to be happy and I believe whoever makes him will gain the respect of his fans.”

I nod sighing, “I understand that, but that doesn’t change my feelings. I thought I was somewhat over him, but the break proved me wrong. I explained to Gabe about Robert being her fiancé so I tried not to stay around him too much. I don’t know if Gabe has noticed anything else from our behavior. When I first saw Robert, all those feelings I had let go came rushing back as if they never left in the first place. I haven’t the slightest clue what to do.”

Kimi scoots closer to e taking my hands in hers rubbing along the knuckles while Annie speaks, “Well, first thing’s first, you should break up with Gabe. It’s not fair to lead him on when you still love someone else. I believe Gabe might have figured out that you don’t love him like he probably does with you.”

I lower my gaze toward the floor once again, “I don’t know what to do. I don’t want to hurt him. I-I can’t hurt him. I do care about him with my whole heart.”

Kimi shakes her head, “You might believe you care about him but it’s obvious that only care about him as a friend, Laura. You should break it off before feelings get attached to each other.”

I nod my head, “I’ll break it off soon, I guess. I just feel bad because he changed colleges for me and everything.”

Annie scoffs, “Gabe did that because he loved you, Laura. How you don’t see that I don’t understand. He wasn’t that close to his friends to begin with. He probably wanted away from his father’s watchful eye. I’ve heard Arthur is a pretty strange parent in the magazines. He’s almost like your mother in a way, I guess.”