[Chapter 28]

Chapter 28

My life changed dramatically. I stayed in the house constantly not wanting to risk being seen. We were all lucky because the local newspaper hadn’t discovered anything. I was resting easy with that information, but I knew Kimi and Annie were having a difficult time at college.

The fortunate thing was that the dean of the college understood and kept the press off the premises considering Harry had told a paper in Oxford about Gabe being on campus. They came like crazy according to Kimi which only instilled they were also after me most certainly. It would only be a matter of time before they discovered that I attended the school and the address of my grandmother’s house. I didn’t give my mom’s address for obvious reasons so I wasn’t too worried but mom’s face was most recognizable these days.

It was actually sort of funny the more I thought about it. I had thought the truth coming out in the papers would have been the best thing possible days after Robert’s confession. It wasn’t the best thing that could have happened, it was the worst. I was stuck in the house as Mom and Robert left day after day for wedding plans. Once the wedding happens, the entire world will know me more often than not.

Mom’s face when she read the article of Robert and I it was the most hilarious I had ever seen her look. Her face turned so red I thought she might turn purple and burst. Robert hadn’t said a word about it though which only enforced mom’s attitude toward the entire thing. She apparently already know that fans of Robert didn’t like her too much but the idea of them liking me more than her seemed to set her off more than usual.

I can remember it like it was yesterday her reaction to the entire thing.

One Week Earlier

I came out of my room about an hour later after I read the magazine and talked with Kimi surprised to hear the bottom of the house quiet. Sarah was playing music in her room as I made my way downstairs. The TV in the living room was turned off and the kitchen light was out.

It was surprising to me because mom had been going crazy over the idea that I was in the public eye now. It made no sense that she would suddenly brush it off. It was then that I heard the scream from upstairs. I ran back to the second floor to find mom standing in the hallway. She had come for the magazine I had been reading a while ago after I had gotten off the phone with Kimi.

It was obvious by the look on her face that she had finally finished reading it.

“What is this, Laura? This isn’t true right?”

I wanted to tell her the truth, it would have been better to hear it from her own daughter. I was her flesh and blood; the news would be easier to break. The only hard part was the look on her face. The little makeup she had been sporting was ruined. Black streaks marked her cheeks and the lip-gloss that was on her lips before was more on her upper lip and chin now. This news was hurting her more than she wanted it to.

I couldn’t help but the astonishment I felt deep inside myself. Robert had been so sure that my mom could withstand the gossip in magazines more that I could. Her reaction right now seemed to contradict what he had said.

I was about to tell her the truth. The whole thing, not leave a single thing out when her bedroom door opened. Robert stepped out locating mom in the hallway staring at me.

He placed a hand on her shoulder surprised when she flinched away, “What’s the matter honey?”

She sighed glancing at him shrugging, “It’s stupid don’t worry about it. You warned me of things like this from the magazines. I just didn’t expect it to be my own daughter they would pit against me.”